Wanted to see what a 1965 Olds 442 is worth

I found a 65 442 for sale here and am going to check it out this week. It is advertised as having matching numbers. They are asking $3,500 for it. partially restored (engine, interior) and they say it is great condition with no rust.

Is that an OK price? What should I look for on this? I've restored a 74 Corvette, 69 VW minibus and currently a 72 Nova. Olds engines are a little different than Chevy. Can anyone point me to a good technical website on these? Thanks!

$3500 is a fair price for a rust-free matching numbers car.

Partially restored means different things to different people. Look around the back window and the quarter panel lower edges for rust. Also check the trunk floor closely. 1965 was the year GM went to butyl tape windshield/backlight sealing and leakage was common.

The chrome diecast tail panel and side scoops are prone to pit and hard to find, and are expensive when you find good ones.

realoldspower.com and 442.com have extensive tech sections and knowledgeable people, though they tend to be a little heavy on 68-72. 442.com is not as easy to navigate as some sites and has no provision for editing or bumping a post to top.

fusick.com for reproduction parts. Year One and The Parts Place carry a good selection of stuff too.

Keep us posted!

Thanks for the info. I called the guy and am meeting up with him tomorrow evening to go through the car. I'm taking the VIN/Heads/Engine/Rearend data along with my digital camera to document this. I agree that if it as good as he says it is, it will be a pretty good price. I've done some more research today and have armed myself with some knowledge. I've learned a lot from the other cars I've bought and restored/restified. If all looks good, I'll start up a restoration website to keep everyone up to date with my restoration progress.

I think I need to be careful if I have matching numbers as I don't want to cheapen it by putting on something that don't belong. I've had fun with my Nova doing that (it it wasn't a numbers matching car).

Happy motoring!

NovaRod (maybe soon to be 442Rod!) grin.gif

NovaRod,

You have already received some good advice, just wanted to add my two cents, as far as a matching numbers 65, it always interests me when a person claims a 442 is numbers matching, Olds did not match the numbers on the chassis to the numbers on the engine until 1968, the same yr that a 442 became its own model, no longer a option on a cutlass, I have a 67 442, and I know it is authentic because it is a 2 owner car and I have the window sticker which shows the vin# on the chassis and the L-78 442 option listed, if i didnt have that i would have no proof, these cars a very easy to clone, all my engine # tells me is that its a 67 400 because it starts with a V prefix, for all I know the original owner blew the first one up and put in another 67 400, that could be easily done, no where on the car does it tell me its a factory 442, either on the vin # or data plate on the firewall, yes this car you looking at could very well have the original engine, or a 65 400, but using the term matching numbers makes me think of matching engine # to car # which simply didnt happen with olds until 68. Hopes this makes sense and gives you a little insight.

Good Luck 67abody

You can make a good guess if engine is proper by the casting date code on the block and the engine unit number stamped on the cylinder head. Then compare with the car's build date. I've researched 6 '66 442's and patterns can be established. While not 100% foolproof you can be pretty sure about.

Henry

That makes sense. With what I know about Nova's, the only thing I can rely on is my experience with clones and what the correct features were with each year/model.

Anyway, I went out there tonight. Boy, partially restored definitely means different things to different people, especially this guy!!

While the body as a whole was solid, the engine was pulled and located about 6-7 miles down the road in a friend's yard underneath some plastic. All rusted and unreadable as far as numbers go. The interior is not complete(junk filled it up). The floor pans were rusted out. The trim and inside console along with several Rochester Carbs were sitting in his utility room off the carport.

I suggest it could go to a real hard-core Olds 442 guy who wants to nurture it (and spend about $20K) to health. I guess I'll keep lookng for that one-time deal that I can't pass up and enjoy my Nova.

I live in Millbrook, Alabama (a few miles north of Montgomery). The guy who is selling it works at Hicks Auto Parts (junkyard)in Montgomery. His name is Mike. Nicest guy you'd want to meet. The car is located up around Lake Jordan (about a dozen miles northeast of Millbrook). PM me with your email address and I can send you some pictures I took.