Motor mount = $300.00

AMarx

On the long list of repairs that my '90 Maui Blue Reatta has needed to go through, all four motor/trans mounts needed to be replaced. (They were all snapped by the previous owner, as well as the K-frame.) Repairs to the K-frame and three mounts have been completed, prices for those varied around $30-70 each mount, frame was $300, plus $450 labor. Total was $853.00.

On the last mount, my mechanic said it was no longer made, but he could get one from GM for about $300.00. He said he was going to keep looking other places for the part, that the price seemed to high to him.

Does this sound right? Has anyone had a similar situation or know what mount this is? I checked the GM site and could find no help. I've alot of trust in my mechanic, he's done wonders for a car that I bought as a lemon.

Since there seem to be plenty of parts running around on E-Bay, I thought I'd query some of the sellers. Does anyone know if the mount I'm talking about is the same that is used on the other Reatta years? I'm always happy to save money wherever I can.

Thanks.

Guest Greg Ross

The Mount in question is "Liquid Filled" and I think I paid about $220. when they were still available about a year and a half ago. You can definitely source an experienced one here.

Hard to believe all the mounts and the "K" Frame could have been broken without a collision ripping everything apart!

Last night I talked to a Reatta owner in Dallas that is replacing all his mounts. I believe he is dealing with one of the big auto parts stores and the manager has agreed to order all the mounts (they are not sure which ones he needs) If you can wait, we should have part numbers by 3/10.

Other than undercar inspection, how can you tell the condition of the mounts/frame?

I've noticed a lot of underhood noise recently (ever since I blew out a tire on pothole about 2 weeks ago).

Any kind of uneven road surface (no matter how minimal) creates a lot of "muffled rattle" in the front of the car.

I can't tell what side its coming from or if its suspension (shocks/struts), or engine mounts, or the frame, etc.

It sort of sounds like the trunk pass-through door rattle but much louder and muffled.

For me, I left the hood up and watched the engine as I started it up and revved the engine. The engined rocked back and forth, tugging on the hoses. I could actually feel the rocking of the engine as it shifted gears.

For some sounds I've heard, my mechanic let me look around when the car was on the lift. The most telling sound that I fixed myself was muffler rattle. The rubber bands that linked the muffler to the body were old. I replaced them and that problem was solved. They actually seemed ok before I changed them, but there was an obvious difference in the feel when I pulled them and compared them side by side.

Hope this helps.

Guest Greg Ross

Broken Sway Bar End Links make quite a bit of noise, how's the car handling? You've got to get the car up on a Hoist and pull and pry.