Tires ???

steve90

Hi...I have a cherry red 1990 with 27,000 actual miles. I need to make a tire change this spring. Can I still get new Goodyear GT +4 tires ( if so, where? ) , or should I go with a quieter, better performing tire. I've heard a lot of good things about the Yokohama AVS db on Reattas. Thanks!

Steve

Minneapolis

Steve,

you'll get a million answers on this one, as everyone has their own personal opinion about tires. the Goodyear GT+4s are still available if you look around, but they are very expensive for what you get.

I have been very pleased with Kumho tires. we now have them on three of our four Reattas, and they are very quiet, and wear like iron. the cheapest place to buy them is The Tire Rack online (www.tirerack.com). click the "shop by size" button, and put 215/65-15 in there. they are about a whopping $42 each for the 732 series Touring tires which I would recommend. you can spend a lot more on other brands, but in my experience, I would put them against anything else, including Michelin.

Mike

I put a lot of time in researching tires. I found a fabulous tire made by Nokian Tyres. They are the NRH2 tire. They have a quieter and softer ride than the GT+4. They are a H rated tire so the side walls are firmer and much better for going around corners. They will also withstand heat better. The car has no lean or roll at all as you corner with these tires. They are directional tires and have a water wipe system that resists aquaplaning. The tread design results in supior traction for braking. They are also a very attractive tire. I am very happy with the tire. The only draw back is they probably have to be ordered and they have a lower mile life rating. You will also notice a stiffer ride for the first five minutes of driving until the tires warm up and the compound softens a bit. The ones I put on my 89 coupe are 215/65R/15 96H. They run between $86 and $95 per tire but are well worth the money for the extra great handling and safety factors.

email me if you have questions. gm33@twcny.rr.com

Chuck Parry

A strong ditto for Mike's recommendation for the Kumho Touring 732s. I've used 'em for two years on a half dozen Reattas, and it's true: they grip like glue and wear like iron. Plus they're inexpensive!

<span style="font-weight: bold">-- ALF</span>

Guest EDBS0

I had the AVS db's on my first Reatta and was very satisfied. I am a tough client to please on tires. They outperformed in all areas. I suspect that you will be very happy with them.

Just one note; the original db's that I had are replaced by the new db's

See See Eagle GR+4 here

I HAD TO REPLACE ONE OF MY GT-4S ON MY CHERRY 90 CONVERTIBLE WITH LESS THAN 19,000 MILES ON IT.I WANTED TO KEEP IT ORIGINAL.IT COST 141.00 AT A LOCAL GOODYEAR TIRE STORE HERE IN PITTSBURGH,ONLY AFTER TRYING 4 OTHER GOODYEAR STORES FIRST.GOOD LUCK AS THIS TIRE HAS BEEN DISCONTINUED ACCORDING TO THE SALESMAN AND REPLACED WITH A GT-2.......PAT

Checking out the Nokia site, I noticed that these are labeled as summer tires. How do these perform in the winter?

The Nokia's look remarkably similar to Michellin's newest tire on the market, but with a higher speed rating. I'll be switching out my tires soon, so I'm really interested. Also, how much did the Nokia's cost? I don't mind paying a little more for quality, but I do have a budget to consider.

Thanks.

The tires were $86 each plus balancing. The Nokian company makes the finest snow tire in the world but the snow tire has a soft compound and should not be driven when tempatures start getting into the 60's and staying there. They do make a tire that is more like an all season but I am not which one. Go to the main page of the website (the first one I gave you) and look at the different tires. The tires are made and tested in Finland. Excellent company! The Finish people have very high standards in safety. The H rated tire is fabulous.

Good Luck

Chuck Parry

If you are going show he car you should put the Goodyear GT+4 back on.

If you want to be as close to stock Goodyears Sam's Club has a Goodyear that is exactly like the GT+4 but about $86 each Might need to special order.

The Goodyears are noisy I like those quiet Michelins Hydro Edge Very queit great in the rain.

Guest EDBS0

An interesting tire experience that I had with +4s was that on a SHO I could easily 4 wheel drift them around my "favorite corner". I upgraded to Dunlop D40M2's and I could not drift them at the same speed. Over the next couple of weeks I kept going into the corner faster, and faster and yet faster. It got to the point where I was so fast that if ever there was sand or gravel on the pavement there would be a serious crash. Esentially I lost my nerve I was going so much faster. It was like the car was on rails. It stuck like glue. I miss the 4 wheel drift. They also had a UTQG of 180 so they didn't last but they shure stuck while they were on the car.

I'm looking mostly for safety.when it's wet. How would the +4's compare to Hydroedge? Is OEM the only reason to go +4? I keep hearing of people switching from the +4's.

Regarding drift, isn't it supposed to be better to decrease drift as much as possible? How would did the Dunlops do in the rain/snow?

Thanks for all the advice ...

If you are looking for safety the Nokian tires are excellent. I run Nokian NHR2 summer tires and switch over to Nokian Hakkapeliitta Q's in the winter. Their winter tire is the best winter tire in the world. The NHR2 tire has excellent water managment and is a high performance tire with a quiet comfortable ride. I like them better than any tire I have ever owned. Look at my previous post and their website and take a look.

Chuck Parry