"Wig-Wag stoplights and such..."

Guest DeSoto Frank

Guest DeSoto Frank

Was out "antiquing" with the Mrs. on Presidents Day, and found some automotive goodies...

Among them was a 1940's - '50's aftermarket wig-wag stoplight...a little round drum with a mounting bracket and power wire, out of which sprouted a chrome plated mast which was topped by a fan-shaped reflector head containing a #63 bulb and a red "celophane" lens.

I presume said gadget was mounted to one of the license plate bolts, and the single power wire was bugged into the stoplight circuit somewhere in the trunk.

When the driver applied his brakes, the little light not only lit-up, but swung from side to side like a wind-up metronome... cool.gif

Does anybody remember these gizmos?

Is anyone out there still making such a gadget?

(I didn't buy it because I thought the $35 price tag was a little high, and I didn't want grief from the wife for "buying another thing for the cars!")

Guest DeSoto Frank

I remember an article in "Cars & Parts" maybe ten years ago on a '32 Studebaker President Coupe that had the factory wig-wag stoplights (vacuum operated).

The unit I saw looked like a cheapy aftermarket, and bore no manufacturer's markings whatsoever...(Not even "Made in Japan" or Asian country of your choice)

Judging from its general construction, I would guess it is from the 1940's or early '50s...

confused.gif