"Correct Tranny Fluid?"

-To my fellow Buick Fans-

It's a beautiful morning up here in frozen Rhode island, (supposed to get up to 45 degrees 2-day). So nice I decided to fire up "OldBLue" my '67 'Lark ragtop w/300 & 2 speed. She's been garaged all winter and evidently leaked quit a bit of Tranny fluid. When shifting into Reverse to back out of the garage she engaged into gear very slowly, when I tried Drive it engaged slower still.

In my haste to head out for my Monday workday. I put in some Tranny fluid, shifted gears back and forth a few times and it seemed OK. But now for my dilemma, I hope haste did not make waste!

The fluid I used was a "Dexron -III" OK for GM. Though in checking my manual I noticed I needed to use an appproved "AQ-ATF" Transmission fluid. Is "OldBlue" going to be OK ??

Can someone tell me the "Proper/Acceptable" Tranny fluid to use in 2004. I was told by a friend that I should not have used a "Dexron-III" fluid. Needless to say I've got to check where that leak came from could be a seal or ??. But for now, I hope I didn't screw up my girl with the wrong juice.

-To My Buick Friends your help in this matter would be greatly appreciated. I look forward to your response. (Greg) [color:\\"blue\\"]

It will be fine. I doubt the ST300 will suffer any ill effects from having a little "modern" fluid in it! Type F or that new Chrysler-spec stuff might make it do the tango, but Dexron is a long-time GM formulation.

GM started using the Dexron formula in late 67-early 68. Up to that time they recommended Type A fluid which can still be found in convenience and grocery stores of all places- usually Tradco or Warren brand.

I've noticed Turbo HydraMatics (ST300 derivative) that sit are often bad about draining all their fluid from the torque converter back to the pan, overfilling it and leaking fluid at the pan gasket. Had a 73 Delta 88 ragtop that would do that and make the damndest mess in the driveway if it sat for a couple weeks.

It is not uncommon for a "300",, "350" or "400" transmission to leak when stored . When driven daily, the torque convertor leaks back very little,but when stored a long time,the upper half of the convertor bleeds back into the oil pan,then the seal around the shift shaft drips. Check that seal (easy to replace)

Thanx for the info RocketRaider & Mr.Buick / It's the help of people like you that make this site A ++ for me. Whenever I have a problem or need a question answered the BCA forum is Mumero #1. -Happy Cruisin- "OldBLue" [color:\\"blue\\"]

Thanx Skyking - I'll put that on my checklist as well. Cranston R.I., Is that Invicta of yours a beige/cream color? I think I saw it 1 night down at the Krispy Kreme a few months back, Nice Car !! Good Luck finishing up that Nash

-Take Care "OldBlue" [color:\\"blue\\"]

Was in Winn-Dixie tonight (along with everybody else here, a snow forecast stampedes everyone to the grocery stores) and checked their automotive aisle. Sure enough, there it was! Warren Oil Co Type A transmission fluid. They also had Warren non-detergent oil in 20, 30 and 40 weight, though I can't imagine what anyone would use that in nowadays. Maybe a lawnmower.