Engine Rebuild on a 67 GS 400

I've decided to pull my 400 and send it to Performance Unlimited in Ocean NJ for a top and bottom end rebuild. My questions are:

1. Anyone have experience with Performance Unlimited?

2. Suggestions on changes to the stock rebuild. So far the only change I am doing is eliminating the rope seals so I can use synthtic motor oil.

3. I am concerned about gas milage so what else can I do?

Thanks a bunch for any information.

First question to ask is have they ever rebuilt a Buick engine, then you can go from there. If they have then they have a clue how to answer your other questions. If not then I suggest you do some more checking on a Buick qualified shop. If distance is not an issue, check out Automotive Machine & Performance in Owensboro, KY, Mike Phillips ampmike@aol.com , or Earick Engines in Newark, OH mrbuick@cgate.net

Just to name a few!

[color:\\"blue\\"]I second Roberta's opinion on who rebuilds Buick engines. If they are not familiar with Buick engines do not have them rebuild your engine. The tolerances are unique and if rebuilt to Chevy specifications it will not last very long. You may also find that pistons for that engine are very expensive.

You may need to lower the compression to live with 93 octane. Here head porting work will make up for the lower compression. Also consider hardened exhaust valve seats for the unleaded fuel.

For fuel economy consider replacement of your TH 400 three speed transmission with a well built 200 4R four speed tramsmission from a 86 or 87 Turbo Regal. The 0.67 overdrive will really reduce the revolutions your 400 CI engine has to turn per mile.

THANKS FOR THE RESPONSE. As a matter of fact, the guy at Performance did state that Buicks zre different and he has rebuilt numerous Buick motors.

I will however check into the two shops you mentioned since I have not spoken to anyone that has used Performance Unlimited and I would really rather deal with someone that has a reference.

Thanks again, cool.gif

• 4 months later...

The guys at Performance seemed to do a prety good job. My only complaint is that they painted the engine the wrong color and didn't cover the carb port or the distributor port so I had quite a bit of cleaning to do.

So far 1500 miles and no leaks.