Hemmings is wacked!

BQUICK1

Anyone see the new Hemmings Motor News? They chronicle 50 yrs of cars....

They say the Reatta was 1) ugly, 2) horrid interior and 3) conceptually flawed.

Who writes this garbage?

I have had many cars and the Reatta may by some other things but not these!

It's not some Gremlin, Pacer or 63 Dodge Dart. Not that's ugly!

I think it it was in bad taste for the person who wrote it to make such a sweeping statement. Just his or her opinion.

As a matter of fact the whole thing is somewhat wacked .....goes against the general perspective of the last 50 yrs .....in my opinion and that of other books and magazines I have seen....as well as real experiences.

Check it out.

Kinda sad for a collector publication to slam any cars actually.

Bruce

Guest Buick Mike

While I would disagree with the assessment of it being ugly and having a horrible interior, I think it was, indeed, conceptually flawed. A very expensive two seat Buick with no performance to back up the look was pretty much doomed to failure. If they were rear wheel drive with some respectable HP and handling (and maybe a lower stance) we'd all be driving some pretty valuable cars right now.

Mike

there were many magazines who disliked the CRT on early model Reattas. they found it very distracting. the newer style dash on the 1991-1991 models was much better received.

we are an advertiser in Hemmings, and they have repeatedly asked us to do an article about the Reatta for their sister publication, Special Interest Autos. I wouldn't put too much stock in what one person may have written. I am an AMC fan as well, and have gotten over all the trash that I have read about how bad the Pacer was. I haven't seen too many web sites devoted to the preservation of similar era Toyota Starlets or Datsun Honey Bees, have you? most comments from these writers are never based on personal experiences with the particular vehicle they are writing about. they just like to feel important, and hear themselves talk.

Mike

I guess it depends on what the "concept" was. I consider the concept to be a unique 2 seater with lots of room that used proven off the shelf drivetrain.

But I've never heard anyone say it was ugly until this but maybe I'm off base since I think Rivieras are nice looking.

The author probably drives a boring Camry so he puts down anything unique....

When you think about it, this car was before its time. It had the touch screen system which only the Riviera had before it. It was soemthing new, somethign fairly untested. Ya i admit its a distraction, sometimes, but it does its job and does it very well, and is unique to only a handful of cars. Even these moderm SUV's like the Lexus and Infiniti are only not introducing these concepts 15 years after my 89 was built.

Yes the dash is ugly, its a horrible square shape, but its a trade off against the sleek, sport and very stylish exterior at a time when Detroit was making horrible square boxes on wheels, lined with fake chrome and designed to last 2 years if u were lucky.

I think Buick did a great job with the electronics, the exterior and the smooth drivetrain/engine combo. As i say, shame about the square dash. Oppinions are like assholes, everyone has one, right or wrong.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Oppinions are like assholes, everyone has one, right or wrong. </div></div>

They are also like arm pits everyone has one or two and they usually stink.

Alot of people also equate the fact that a car had a short run as being a sign of failure. Or limited production. I had a 70 GSX Stage 1 that only 256 were made....not because it was junk. Highly sought after now.

The new T-bird is a nice car but was only planned for a 3 yr run. Failure, not really.

How about the Caddy Allante with Northstar (93)? As in the case of the Reatta, I don't think they ever expected to sell a million! Esp at $60K.

The Reatta was over-priced too new but now we can enjoy them cheap (for a while).

I'm outta here.....

Bruce

Well, I doubt that anyone thinks the Reatta is flawless, too many cases of the bean counters at work. MSRP was not really an issue. Seats that do not go down near far enough because they were designed for the Riviera are.

Square vs Oval panel is not an issue. Not being able to set the daytime screen brightness is. Not putting 16x7 or even 15x7 wheels on from day one is absurd (stock wheels were in T-Type inventory so no design cost) as is no single sweep button for the wipers (my 70 Judge has single sweep).

Biggest lack is not putting in the turbo engine but was not certified for FWD. Really *everything* except the body was Off The Shelf and it shows.

Now today that makes the parts available so the cars are relatively cheap to keep running (so long as you do not need any glass - wonder whose bright idea was to run the side mirrors through the vent glass).

For all of that I like the car and at my rate of driving should not hit 100,000 miles until about 2020. It is a bigger Fiero and that is what I wanted.

Now does anyone know what surgery is required to lower the seats an inch. Have a pair of spare seat platform assemblies and just do not see how.

Guest imported_Flash

It was/is my understanding that the target market for the Reatta was the 50 something couple who were at or nearing retirement and the children had left the nest. The thought was that a touring car might appeal to these folks who would use it for a youthful expression while traveling in comfort. To this end, the Reatta does exactly that. The trouble with the plan, was that many couples in this market, prefer a 4 passenger 4 door, so that they can double date. Thus, the Reatta was left to the single (no children) women or purchased as a "wifes" car. Of course at 30K, the affordability was limited.

Men typically want more power, women loved the style, ease of entry, and stare value. After about '94, they became hand me down cars to the kids, or as is the case today, affordable/collectable/drivers for the mechanically adept.

Ironic, that some of the Reatta's biggest fans today, are the very target market that they were intended for. At the 100th, many many Reatta owners, fit the profile.

sad but true - hemmings, while glossier and slicker, and now with that quaint "lil' filling station" up north, is much worse in attitude and editorial content over the last 5 years - almost a direct correlation to the 'internet revolution'...just my opinion; but i most certainly agree no collector cars should be besmirched by an auto collector publication! [ unless of course the vehicle in question is japanese!..]

Doubt that "at or nearing requirement" was a real factor, people considering an 80-100% drop in income were doubtful to want an expensive toy. Of course that may have been part of the problem. A CFO with a golden parachute maybe but how many of those are there ?

Now if I ever get home for any length of time it is a perfect commuter car for a 23 mile commute of mostly open freeway with a few clogs and 22 mpg is "enough".

That was just about right - just filled up for about 13 cents/gal more than last time (mid December), 87 PON is U$1.509/gal at moment. 299.8 miles including a trip to Lakeland (50 miles each way about 1/2 construction), two commutes (46 miles/day) and rest around town & took 13.252 gal actual/14.1 gal on trip meter for 22.6/21.2 mpg - no a/c, 60-70F.

or another way of looking at it is U$20 for over a month for about 50 cents a day.