1917/1918 Dodge Army ambulance

Cyril

Cyril, welcome to the forum. If you are located anywhere near Pittsburgh, Pa you are welcome to come by and take notes, measurements etc. I have a Dodge Brothers School Bus on the 3/4 truck chassis. I would guess the drive trains to be similar if not exactly the same.

Thanks so much for the information. I bought the manual from the ebay site. Since I last posted a message we found a plate on the passenger side floor board with number 241848 on it. I assume this would identify who made the body of the vehicle?? We are trying to determine what company manufactured the body.

The engine number (located just above the carb.) is 298916.

We got it started however we could not use the coil (possibly it is a magneto??). Therefore we used a temporary coil.

We are looking for parts sources if anyone knows of one.

That number you found was the Dodge Bros factory serial number, which is right in line with the vehicle date and the engine number is also in line with expected. It's a good vehicle. I also have a staff car with he added numbers on the frame. If you have any hint of original OD green on it, I'd appreciate a clue as to it's formula. I have been searching for authentication of WW-1 OD with lots of hints but nothing I can count on. It is not WW-2 colors, at least not necessarily. Most recreations of WW-1 vehicles simply use WW-2 colors and markings which are wrong. My research says that the Dodge chassis was sent elsewhere for the ambulance bodies. Does your engine have a permanent crank up front with no electric starter/generator or the usual removeable crank and the North East S/G??