Olds Aurora

The Toronado Chapter of OCA accepts the Aurora, but I'm not aware of any club dedicated specifically to the car.

Several companies are adapting RWD Turbo HydraMatics to the Northstar block. It involves relocating one of the transmission bolt ears to mate with the Northstar bolt pattern. Not cheap, but adds another dimension to a very capable engine.

Now, if they could just get a Northstar to run without its computer...

One of the Northstar "street rod" supply companies is Cadillad Hot Rod Fabricators. According to an article in the Hemmings magazine, they use a THM700 from an S-10 2.8L V-6 application (with much internal beefing of clutch packs and such) for the correct bolt pattern on the bellhousing and then also make a water pump relocation kit for the non-sideways installation (now that the XLR uses a similar mounting setup, it might simplify things in the future after some of those engines get out on the streets). They have a website too.

In the magazine article, it was noted that in their street rod applications with a 600cfm carb and an intake manifold they supply, the stock engine suddenly makes another 100 horsepower with no other modifications. Seems the low hood line configuration adversely affects the output potential of the engine due to intake manifold considerations, so they said. From looking at the cylinder heads on that engine, it does not surprise me.

Not sure about conversion to rear wheel drive, though, I don't think there's enough floor pan room to make it happen, but stranger things have been known to happen. The Chrysler LH platform was originally designed with AWD in consideration, though, and I recall seeing one retired-age gentleman at Mopar Nationals that had an LHS with two powertrain modules--one front as normal and one in the rear, with the ECMs ganged together. The windows were tinted darkly, but the rear seat got to be one small jump seat on each side. Quite impressive, but probably impressively expensive to make happen too.

Enjoy!

NTX5467