Can't open storage compartments

jam111

Recently purchased a '88 black coupe with tan interior. Apparently both latches to the storage compartments are broken. Lock turns with the key, just can't get the compartment open. Any tricks on getting the compartments open? Note: I have replaced the drivers side window motor and cleaned the blower fan compartment out with grand success due mostly from the notes I recieved form this site. Thanks to all who helped me out...

The plastic handles on these latches break with very little effort. I would guess that is what happened. First make sure your latch is unlocked. The key hole should be running north, south. Move the seats full forward. This will allow more room to work. It will be very hard to see, but there is a metal (silver colored) lug under the right side of the handle. With a very small screwdriver, like you would tighten eye glasses with, try to pry to lug forward. That should release the latch. This procedure is much easier on the dash glovebox because you can see under the handle better. Hope this helps. When you get them open, let us know if there was any money in there. LOL Howard

Howard, Thanks a million for the advice. I got both sides open cool.gif...one was totally empty, the other had my owners manual. Sorry, no millions this time. For now, I removed the inside catch so there will be nothing to latch to until I get new latches.