77 Oldsmobile Engine Blue

I have a 77 Olds Cutlass with original stamps on the engine valve covers. I need to find the correct paint to touch up the intake and parts of the block in front. Duplicolor and Plastikote colors are not correct, I have bought and tested them all, including Corporate Blue.

Also, I would like to have the paint in a quart/gallon can so I can brush it on, any body know who may match and mix this paint for me?

All help appreciated.

Jmart5

Seymour Coatings used to have the correct color "Buick/Olds Turquoise" but I'm not sure if they still stock it. An alternative is to find a body and paint supply that can custom mix you a spray bomb. If they don't have the color formula, they can usually scan and computer match it to a sample from the car.

For the record, the 75-80 turquoise is different from the 70-74 Olds Engine Metallic Blue.

Thanks for the lead. I will check it out. I live in Pinellas County Florida and have not been able to find anyone in this area that mixes engine paint. I have tried NAPA, called Duplicolor (they recommended Sherwin Williams automotive, no cigar), paint and body shops, automotive parts stores, etc....

I will lookup Seymore and see where it goes. I personally know that the blue is different on the years you stated, I have 2 77 olds cutlasses, 1 78 cutlass and one 79 cutlass. On the 78 and 79 I just used Duplicolor DE1610 and painted the whole engine.

On my newest 77, it only has 40,000 original miles and the original stamp on the valve cover so I don't want to mess that up.

Thanks again, Jerry

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry for the later response . . .

The engine color you need for the GM Corporate Blue will only be accurate if you get it from a GM dealer--period. Back when that "situation" came out, the Krylon and other colors with that nomenclature were either closer to Ford Blue or Chrysler Blue and NOT the GM color. Only place to get the correct color is from GM dealers in a GM Goodwrench can. Have the GM parts person get into their Standard Parts Catalog in their parts database and then look for engine paint listings--it's in there. You might have to buy 6 cans minimum, but then you'll have it.

Also, the current GM Glossy Black engine paint is not "glossy" as the name might indicate, but more satiny in sheen. It is an exact match for the black paint on the engine brackets and air cleaner. The "black" that goes on the body panels can be had in GM Reconditioning Black, but some don't like it and choose to use other paints for those items.

The situation in later years might have changed with the proliferation of restoration paints, but that's the way the "Corporate Blue" situation was back then.

As mentioned, there can be subtle changes in engine color over the years, so attention to those items can be necessary.

Hope this helps,

NTX5467