Buick Parade thru Flint, 1978 National Meet

Centurion

The first BCA National I had the pleasure of attending was Buick's 75th Anniversary National Meet in Flint, 1978. I was a 24-year old, fresh out of graduate school, and my greatest goal in life was to get to Flint to see all of those fabulous old Buicks. I lived in cowboy country (Pendleton, Oregon), and had never traveled east of the Rockies. I managed to scrape up the airfare and flew all night Thursday to arrive in Flint on Friday afternoon. I didn't have a room reservation anywhere (big mistake), but I rented a car at the Flint airport and gradually found the Buick assembly plant. What an incredible experience! As I approached the buildings, I saw a '53 Skylark for the first time and knew that I had just experienced one of life's greatest thrills.<P>Among the most memorable events of that National Meet was the Saturday afternoon parade through downtown Flint. I found my spot to watch well in advance, and was surrounded by citizens of Flint who seemed as much in awe as I was. This was an incredibly well-organized parade, with the cars gliding by in chronological order. They were all so magnificent, and I'm sure I was moved to tears at times during the procession.<P>I didn't even own a camera at that time, and it has been difficult to describe to others what an impressive display this was. 1978 was well before home video cameras arrived on the scene, but I've sometimes wondered whether anyone captured that parade on 8-mm or 16-mm film. Is anyone out there aware of such a film, and, if so, has any effort been made to convert it to VHS? This would be a great item to share with BCA chapters and members, particularly as we talk with others about Buick's upcoming centennial celebration in 2003. Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.<P>Brian Laurance, BCA #5168<p>[ 10-15-2001: Message edited by: Centurion ]

Just a few weeks before that meet,there was an ad in our local paper"42 Buick for sale"I thought it had to be a misprint,but sure enough,and I drove it home.It ran so well that I told my friends."I think this old car would like to go "Home"! We hurriedly painted it and tuned up the engine,and were on our way to Flint.This $350.00 car went to Flint,was parked next to Jenkins 99 percent perfect 41 and on the other side was a 42 which had been made into a 48(i often wondered if this was the car Buick s general manager met us with at the Grand Trunk station when we came to Flint to attend the 49 Buick introduction) The local guys named my car "Fido" and when we got back to Omaha they showed me a chain they brought along"just in case"I assured them that if a chain had been needed,it would have been to "Fido s" back bumper.It was a thrill to be in the parade down Saginaw street.I thought back as to how well I had been treated when at Flint during WW II, and all the years since.Hope I can be the in 03! Ralph

The parades for the 75th and the 85th anniversary were both wonderful ,but I think they will pale in comparison the the one in 2003. We are hoping it will be cool ,as there will be probably enough Buicks that your cooling system should be in good shape or you might become a steamer and Buick did not build any of them. wink.gif" border="0wink.gif" border="0

That was one of the best parades I had ever been, especiallly all buicks. Drove my 49 Woody. The only Woody to be at the first of the Nationals in Flint. You can't imagine the Ooo's and AhAh's as the old woody drove past all those Buick Factory workers, Many who had done assembly line work on them. I think the only way someone would have old movies of this parade, would be someone from Flint, as 90o/o of the show cars were in the Parade. Try running an ad in the Bugle.<BR>I still have the poster that was attached to the side of the vehicle, Identifying the year and owner.<P>Jim Schilf / palbuick@aol.com

Onebadassbuick:<P>I hope your car will be there -- restored or not! If we all felt like our cars have to be perfect, our National Meets would be much smaller than they are.<P>My car will be unrestored in 2003, but it will be there. I think some people will enjoy seeing it, eventhough it will be less than perfect. And, regardless, I will have had one wonderful trip caravaning to Flint with other vintage Buick owners.

Guest scott mich bca # 6619

I too had the pleasure of attending that parade. I was 25 yrs old at the time!!!<P>At one point the parade stood still so long, I was able to get out of my 1957 46R, walk down the block and take a picture of my car, in the parade!<P>I'de like to see a movie of that also.<P>Do you remember that 1961 Buick camper? It was made from 2 Buicks, and had 4 turning wheels! The owner had chopped a second car into thirds. He put the front clip in fornt of the original front, the same with the rear quarters, behind the original car. And he put the extra passneger compartment on top of the original passenger compartment, so that it was twice as tall.<P>This was one of the highlights of the show. You could not get close to this thing. Lots of rivets, phillips screws and caulking.<P>Scott Mich BCA # 6619<BR>Assistant Director<BR>Cgicagoland Chapter<BR>1955-76C<BR>1959 Olds SS-88

Guest Skyking

I wonder how many people on this forum would be interested in caravaning to Flints National. It would be fun picking up cars on the way. We could have are own parade.....

Centurion;<P>I have a few 35 MM slides of some of the 1955 and newer Buicks at the very end of the parade, but no video. My '55 76R was selected to be in that fantastic parade, so I missed viewing most of it. I still have the original signs used on the side of my car during the parade, identifying the year and model of Buick.<BR>As a suggestion, a film clip of the parade might exist with the local Flint TV station. <P>AK Buickman, BCA #1955

Guest Dans 77 Limited

Count the Electra and my family in. The way I figure it I have 2 years to get the "Buick" emblems glued back on the trunk and get the A/C working.<P>Dan

Skyking, I'd love to join the caravan to Flint, but it looks like the shortest route for you wound be through Niagra Falls. I'll be travelling the other side of Lake Erie. frown.gif" border="0<P>Dan, if you're interested, we could hook up in Youngstown, if you plan on taking I-76 to I-80. smile.gif" border="0<P>Buick caravans <B>rock</B>!!! grin.gif" border="0grin.gif" border="0grin.gif" border="0cool.gif" border="0

Guest nailswede

How many buicks do you think will come in 2003? 50...200...4000?<P>earlier this year (before september 11) i was planning visiting USA 2002 or so..and of course a buickevent would be great for me to see..<BR>and if there would be a realy big one in 2003 i probably wait another year..<BR>maybe i change my mind later and buy me one moore buick instead shocked.gif" border="0

I am looking at pictures of the first BCA meet which was in Flint in 1971 and 1972.Ihave a picture of that 8 wheel Buick motor home.It appears to be based on a 62 invicta. I dont know where it is now.I think we had more early cars in 1971 than we had this summer in Buffalo. Norb

• 4 weeks later...

Skyking (Bob),<P>Tried to send the following email to you, but your email address here, is not valid.<P>Subj: 2003 Caravaning to Flint, MI from New England<BR>Date: 11/17/01 11:12:45 AM Eastern Standard Time<BR>From: Marcbrou<BR>To: tri-r58@webtv.net<BR>CC: Aseremeth<P>Skyking (Bob),<P>I have not had time to browse the BCA General Discussion Board for over 6 weeks, until today.<P>I saw that you had interest in Caravaning to Flint in 2003 in an October posting reply.<P>The Minuteman Chapter, BCA is planning on a caravan to Flint in July 2003. We are starting the planning process for that now and have been discussing it for several months. We have been discussing our plans with our sister chapters (Central New England, Yankee, Long Island, Central NY, Finger Lakes, and Niagara Frontier) in the Northeast and along our proposed route to Flint. <P>You must be a member of the Buick Club of America to participate in all BCA National Meets. (Which I now know you are since your 1966 Skylark was photographed in Buffalo)<P>While membership is not required in a chapter, the Minuteman Chapter, BCA is always happy to have new members join. Our local chapter has a monthly newsletter which keeps members informed of our monthly meetings, local shows, and other planned events. We most recently published our plans for 2002 and 2003.<P>The Minuteman Chapter is the Buick Club Chapter for all of Eastern Massachusetts, Rhode Island, New Hampshire, and Maine.<P>If you are not already a member of the Buick Club of America you can join by obtaining a registration from at the following URL:<BR> <A HREF="http://www.buickclub.org/Membership/membership.htm" TARGET=_blank>http://www.buickclub.org/Membership/membership.htm</A> <P>If you would like to join the Minuteman Chapter, BCA, you can join by obtaining a registration form at the following URL:<BR> <A HREF="http://www.minutemanbuick.org/" TARGET=_blank>http://www.minutemanbuick.org/</A> <P>Click on "About our Chapter" in left column to access registration form.<P>Marc Brouillette, BCA #12340<BR>Junior Assistant Director<BR>Minuteman Chapter<BR>Buick Club of America<BR>Winchendon, MA<p>[ 11-17-2001: Message edited by: Marc Brouillette ]