O/D in/out, intermittent Electrical problem screen

I recently drove my '88 Red/Tan 157K to Tennessee from Ohio. By the time I got there I had some increased exhaust noise. The silver lining to this was the ability to hear the engine increase its revs when it should have been locked up in overdrive (explaining why my highway mpg has dropped off to 25, instead of the 28-30). I've also been getting an intermittent "electrical problem" screen.

Is this likely related? A recent post on the list mentioned a torque converter lockout solenoid. Could this be the culprit? If so, how easy/hard to replace?

Cost?

Tom, the Reattaman (I love these cars!) smile.gif

'88 Red/Tan/Red 157K

'89 Claret/Tan/Claret 47K

'91 While/Flame Red/Black 103K

With an 88 you can go into service mode at any time - The TCC and closed loop indicators are on the left, lit/solid is on. - you must be in closed loop for the TCC to engage (too low an engine temp will keep CL from happening).

That is where to start. Next is a volytmeter on the TCC line to see if getting power when on. If so, is probably the solenoid.

little yellow light showing up on the dash intermitantly smile.gif is probably caused by a bad oil pressure switch. Keep the gages screen on and see if oil pressure is not toped out at 155 when the light comes on. This only happens from time to time so you have to look fast..........let me know,,,,,,,,ken

Guest Greg Ross

Ken,

On the '88s' low Oil Pressure is a 'Red" Idiot light. At least on mine it will trip the Low Fluid Screen to engage but that's it, no interconnect with the Fuel Pump as on other cars. I get a Low Oil P. warning at cold start because I had to relocate the O.P. Sender and install it in the Knock Sensor port. With the S/C installed you end up with one belt tensioner below the P.S. Pump located right where the O.P. Sender should be. For whatever reason it takes a few seconds for pressure to bleed to that port and then build up to "Normal"

This is a Series I engine BTW and I get 70 to 80 psi.

GM, where did you put the knock sensor? The oil pressure port could be tapped into the rear of the same passage the sender came from, that's where I get the oil for my turbo. I didn't realize, (until I looked after this post), that the knock sensor hole is not just a blind hole.