"Sportwagon" is now a rice burner!

AK Buickman

Well, boys and girls-- the beautiful, former 1960's - 1970's Buick nameplate "Sportwagon" has now been bestowed on some soon-to-be-introduced rice burner SUV. This name joins other once proud Buick nameplates such as "Limited" and "GS", that have been recently taken by domestic & foreign auto companies for their own vehicles.

The good news-- Some automobile companies still use pleasing sounding auto names such as "Sportwagon" instead of the difficult to remember alphabet soup names, such as Cadillac and others are doing with their new models.

AK Buickman, BCA #1955....... Saying "Good bye" to the Buick Sportwagon...

I agree...I too hate the new mnemonics used by GM. Cadillac used to be a marque to desire as was Buick. Now in order to compete for the younger market, they are all becoming equals. I am as Democratic as the next person, but I like a little elitism in my choices....Cadillac and Buick were the elite of GM. Now they are just another modern sporty plastic nothing line of SUXs. Sad to say but there it is.

I think various manufacturers have used the name "Sportwagon" over the years. I think Renault called one of their wagons that name.

It's too bad with all of the wagons-not-called-wagons coming on the market, that the words "station wagon" are out of fashion. I'd rather run my old Caprice wagon with the LT-1 engine than drive a minivan any day!

Guest Skyking

It's too bad some of us want to live in the past. Forget it guys, it's over. Just let's enjoy the old cars we have....those days are long gone. It will never, never return to what we knew & appreciated in our life time!!!!!