Rivera Filler panels.

NickTosie

Hello,

I have a 1982 Buick Rivera. My grand parents bought it new and when my grand mother passed away it became "mine." Up until last winter we kept it garaged at my grand father's house. However he was having problems with the circulation in his hands and needed both his cars to be inside during the winter time so we brought the buick down here to Dallas, Texas. In the time it has been here all the filler panels (front and back) have cracked and now the factory color repaint I spent several thousand dollars on a few years ago looks terrible! Not because the paint is bad but because the car looks like trash with these filler panels partially missing in some spots and cracked in others. I found a good body shop here that will prep, paint (using a base wash of duponts "stick it" so the paint stays on real nice), and install them but now we must find the panels. I see that www.gmobsolete.com sells them for a fair price and they are ABS plastic (I've heard bad things about fiberglass!) so I was wondering if they are a reputable dealer or not. Or is there another company that makes better ones or possibly someone has NOS ones?

Looking for tips, comments, and suggestions. Any and all information is welcomed.

Thank you for your time,

Nick Tosie

Argyle, Texas

1982 Rivera

1949 Studebaker Truck

1979 F-150 XLT

1989 S10 Blazer 4x4

In the long run, the fiberglass replacements will last longer and not crack with age, as the plastic ones might. Of course, if the bumper moves on the impact absorbers, the fiberglass panels will probably crack and also cause some body damage in the process. Pluses and minuses with each material.

There are several vendors for the replacement panels. There is a place in Houston that advertises in the Auto Trader (or used to) that has the replacement panels. I did a Google search for bumper fillers (trying to see what was out there for a '74 Eldorado earlier this year) and found some vendors/manufacturers of them I was not aware of (plastic and fiberglass both).

If you do find some NOS panels, remember that they are as old as the car is so their ultimate durability will be less and more fragile than a newly produced replacement panel.

Just some thoughts,

NTX5467

Three of the four body shops I talked to said the fiberglass panels were not a good idea. One even said he probably wouldn't even do the work if I wanted to use fiberglass. They said they would cost me more because they would have to do alot of work on the fillers as they have not seen any that fit good and on one car they even had to modify the body. Of course modifying the body is not an option as the paint is done and very nice and then I'd have to paint a complete panel of the car and thats getting into way too much money.

Anyone had any experiance with gmobsolete.com?

I'll check into these sources, thank you for the in put.

Nick

I have an 85 that I just replaced the front ones with fiberglass. I am very happy. By looking, you can't tell the difference and the plastic doesn't come in the same pieces as original. The fiberglass does. I have had it to car shows and nobody knows the difference. I have received trophies before and after the repairs were done. I am at work and don't have the number but will look for it and reply again. I got the number out of the ROA RIVIEW if you belong. The company sells both plastic and fiberglass.

Nick,

If you are interested in used fillers, I may have what you need. I parted out a 1984 Riviera a couple of years ago and I think I have most of the fillers. I live in a mild climate where these fillers do not deteriorate as quickly as in other areas. If interested, let me know which pieces you are looking for. I'll take pictures for you and figure out a fair price. If you want to hold out for new or NOS, I understand.

Thanks,

Michael

email: greystoneacademy@yahoo.com

• 1 month later...