Dual Master Cylinder in 62 Electra

jerryacheson

I've been thinking about converting my 62 Electra to a dual master cylinder just to be a little safer. Anyone have an idea what cylinder to use? Do I have to replace the power brake booster? With what? It's my understanding that I don't have to go to a proportioning valve unless I convert to disk brakes. Agree?

Guest imported_PackardV8

The dual is not any safer than the single as long as it is a good one anf the rest of the brake system is good. I use a Honda Civic powerunit and Master cylinder on my 56 packard in place of the original Tradle Vac.

There has been lots of talk about this and I have even thought of it too. Well its not cheap and I don't want to lose the points. Regardless of disk or drum you will probably have to use a proportioning valve. This is so one set does not do all the work, ie fronts grabbing before the backs.

I did this conversion to my 64 Riv right before Flint last summer. My car is a pleasure only and I don't think it will ever be 400 pt judged. I do however restore it to be as correct as possible. The brakes issue is a different matter. If you drive any of these cars, dual master brakes, halogen headlights and radial tires are a safety issue. I have lost the brakes twice in first gen Rivs. Lose a back tire and wheel at highway speeds and see how well your emergency brake works. The second time I was backing a friends boat into the water when the left front brake hose popped. I dropped into D and pulled out of the launch ramp. With an all drum system there is NO need for a proportioning valve. They are only needed if you go to front disc brakes.

It cost me less than $100 bucks to do the dual master conversion, I am not worried about points, but my safety and my families safety when they are with me. If the rest of your system is in great shape the conversion may not give you anything but a little piece of mind.

Larry

As late as 1974 Oldsmobile still listed "Control Pkg., Dual Hydraulic Brake" for 1962-66 Oldsmobiles (except 1962 Starfires for whatever unknown reason) in the parts books. Grp 4.650, pn 381466. List price was $72.25. It included a dual master cylinder, metering block and brake line tubing to install it on cars originally equipped with single braking.

Based on that kit's availability, I have never deducted points for a dual master cylinder setup on cars not originally equipped with it in OCA National Judging. AACA would do well to heed it on pre-1967 cars also.