Dual Exhaust Setup Available?

Ray Sestak

I have a '70 Cutlass S, 350 w/single exhaust. The drivers side header exhausts mid-header and crosses under the motor into the passenger side header. From there, both exhaust out the rear of the passenger side header to the muffler. Is there a dual exhaust setup available that will allow me to keep the stock headers in place? I checked Flowmaster, but they only have an "A" body kit with equal length exhaust pipes that will not work due to the different exhaust points on the headers. Any help is much appreciated! Thanks.

Whenever swapping a single exhaust over to a dual set-up (and keeping the stock manifolds) that crossover you speak of must be cut and blocked. Not having crawled up underneath there in awhile, I can't say how easy/difficult this is. Usually, a muffler shop takes care of that end of it for me. If you have the equipment, I suppose you could cut/block/weld on your own. You may want to purchase the system and shop around for a good installation price...Beware of Midas, as my rearend is still smarting from the hurting they layed on me a few years ago (500 bucks for install only - lesson learned, I'll never go back or reccommend). Good luck-

Bob

Your best bet is a locally owned exhaust shop that does good custom work. The money will be about the same.

On a small-block Olds, the manifolds are the same for dual or single exhaust. The factory did duals by eliminating the crossover pipe and using a block-off plate on the RH manifold crossover port. Then the LH pipe connects to the LH manifold. The RH exhaust is the same setup for single or dual exhaust.

The block-off plate has been obsolete for years, but a good exhaust man can make one that looks and functions right. Just make sure he doesn't cut the crossover pipe long and crimp and weld the open end. That looks like hell, and will eventually rust out due to condensation collecting in the bottom of it.