3800 Engine extended to at least 2009

GSTURBO

In todays paper GM announces an extention of the 3800 engine because of it,s many improvements over the years.In 2002 603,560 were built in Flint.They are used in Monte carlos,Impalas,Bonnevilles,Grand Prixs,LeSabres,Park Avenues,& Regals. I have eight Buicks with the V-6 Norb

This is GREAT news and also somewhat interesting. Guess the upgraded for 2004 Chevy V-6 will find a home in the less expensive cars, the new DOHC V-6 will be more for the upper end CTS/SRX cars, and the Buick 3800 will hit that huge segment of family-sized GM cars that it has done so well in over the years. It still might use mundane pushrods, but that engine sure does work great anyway.

Enjoy!

NTX5467

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This is GREAT news and also somewhat interesting. Guess the upgraded for 2004 Chevy V-6 will find a home in the less expensive cars, the new DOHC V-6 will be more for the upper end CTS/SRX cars, and the Buick 3800 will hit that huge segment of family-sized GM cars that it has done so well in over the years. It still might use mundane pushrods, but that engine sure does work great anyway.Enjoy!

NTX5467 </div></div>

Willis, according to my GM Powertrain brother and others, they still say the 2004 V-6 is a nightmare, I proposed an SRX for a replacement for my Mom's Creampuff '95 Riv and he was all over it on why not to go there, the Rainier with the 5800 is a better bet, the SRX looks like a cross between a Chrysler Pacifica and a Pontiac Vibe, with a 3400, and I told some folks that yesterday, that handle our Company car deal, and they agreed with me, totally scary. Like everyone has already said, why didn't they put the 3800 in the Rendezvous, well, that's an easy answer, we don't make the 3800 in MX, duh. Rumblings of a rear wheel drive Buick in 2006-7, still, will come from the Lansing Craft Center, will probably be based on the trailblazer chassis like the SSR, not an all bad deal, with a 5300, of course if the 3800 V6 may still be around by then, a supercharged v6 3800 would be the ultimate power source, and I'd buy one, of course, that could well be my retirement vehicle of choice, as I will be close enough to 2009 and 30 yrs with the General, if they would offer me that option, then, let's go BUICK RACING, every weekend, and kick butt!

Roberta and Associates, according to GM press releases I found via Google, the 3.6L Cadillac CTX/SRX motor (option code LY7) is a completely new motor. One article mentioned it was the first of GM's new global engine plan. That article also mentioned the adaptability of oil pan configurations and such (which might explain the unusual oil filter location in some applications and the fact that different oil filters are used in different chassis configurations). I found an article from a European source that mentioned it was a 60 degree V. Then I found comprehensive explanation of the engine (via a compilation of GM press releases and other information) at www.vettes.com (click on "Cadillac CTS" at the bottom of the page).

So far, cataloged applications for the 3.6L DOHC VVT V-6 are the two Cadillacs AND the Rendezvous (at some future date). AS GMPowertrain seems to be rather slow at updating their website, where this 3.6L DOHC VVT V-6 engine will be built (much less admitted to!) is not listed.

If entry and egress are issues for your mother, then the Rainier would be better. From what I've read, the V-8 doesn't run very much faster than the I-6 does, but has more torque. I perceive that a tuner version of the Rainer V-8 would be NEAT! Plus challenge BMW with their high priced X5.

I would hope that at this point in time, GM would have the orientation that anything that Powertrain produces would be totally bulletproof and raise the bar from what it previously might have been--especially with the aspirations that Cadillac has toward great vehicles.

I'll stop there.

Enjoy!

NTX5467