Radiator replacement/upgrade

Hello fellow members,<BR> I am considering replacing the stock Radiator in my 57 special. My car has been getting hot this summer and I would like to replace the radiator and possibly add an electric fan(I'm going to add AC from Vintage air next year). I thought about just getting it cleaned out but the top of the radiator looks pretty dented up. Has anyone tried Griffin or US Radiator? <BR>Thanks,<BR>Raul<BR>57 Special<BR>65 Riv<BR>66 Riv

I have a Howe radiator in my 57 and it works great! I also installed Classic Auto AC as they have a unit that fits in the trunk and you dont have to remove the original heater -defrosterunit. My wife likes it because the air doesn't blow directly on you ,but comes over the top and it becimes a breeze off the windshield. classic Auto Air is located in Tampa

Thanks for the info. I'll have to check on Howe radiators and Classic auto air. Are the Howe rad. brass? Direct replacement? PHone or web page??<P>Thanks again.<BR>Raul

Classic Auto Air in Tampa, Fl.: <BR>(813) 251-2356. Al Sedita is the owner, and a darn nice guy. I've got one of their systems in my '54 Special, and I'm very happy with it.<BR>Regarding your overheating problem. I've also got that in my '54 Special. No interchange between the '54 and '57, but the problem might be the same: the Special radiator in my '54 was much shorter (from side-to-side) than a Roadmaster, etc. It also didn't have a fan shroud on it. Plus the 4-blade fan doesn't do a whole lot. I found a steel fan shroud out of a wrecked Super, and found a good used radiator out of one of the bigger cars. It's a three row (my Special was a two row), and it's wider from side to side. Plus the fan shroud bolts up to it. I also went with a bigger (in diameter) six blade fan when I went with the A/C unit.<BR>I haven't installed any of it yet, but I expect it will work nicely. Mine only overheats in the summer when I get stuck in traffic. As long as air is flowing through the stock radiator, it doesn't overheat.<BR>Two more things: I'm putting a later model 401cid aluminum timing chain cover/water pump housing on the front of the 322 I'm building, and that will let me order an aluminum "A/C" water pump. I don't know if that will make a difference, but sometimes when an early car called for a specific water pump for A/C applications, it was because that pump pushed more water.<BR>Finally, I've dropped in some stuff called "Water Wetter." Darned if that didn't work really well! It lowered the temp noticably.<BR>The best part about going with an early radiator is that it looks "right" in the car, and I can polish that top tank.

Brad, the 401/425 A/C water pumps from the factory were indeed a higher flow unit. The problem is that getting a high flow pump is a crap shoot. The aftermarket only lists one pump for 401/425 whether A/C or not. They are just rebuilding what comes in. <P>However if you find a good source for high flow 401/425 water pumps, please post it here. I would like a couple of new/reman/rebuilt pumps that aren't 35-40 years old.

Hi, all: As far as I know, the only difference in radiators in '54 was from Dynaslow to synchromesh. My '54 Dynaflow-job came with a fan shroud, and I've never had cooling problems except for a pull up to Big Bear at 5,000 feet or a drive to Ridgecrest (very hot desert) at 100 plus. That was all back when I was dumb and in college...<BR>Was the bigger-series a different radiator?