Removal of trim panel, IPC,1991?

Guest wally888

Guest wally888

My FSM always says refer to instructions previously mentioned in this section. Can't find.

I removed the 2 screws in air outlets, left side is fairly loose but center and right side very tight.

Where do I go from here?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> After you remove the two screws at the vents, you may also want to remove the two screws that just may be above your instrument display. They were in mine, don't know if it came from the factory that way but I came close to snapping some plastic before I found these.

Good Luck </div></div>

The catches protrude out the back side of the dash panel at the edges like small thick knife blades with their tips broken off. On the tip of the blades are small spring steel folded clips with small barbs that grab into the so called knife blade tips. The barbs also point out and grab in to holes in the dash bezel when the dash facia is pressed into the bezel. I pryed mine off with a screw driver last week but another poster used a small hook tool to get under the edge of the dash panel at the sight of the spring lock fasteners and pull. You could make the tool out of a coat hanger.

Sorry, Before you work the goofy fasteners, you must get out all the Torx screws out. At the top of the dash panel just above the speedo there are 2 small vertical holes almost impossible to see in the dark. If you still can't see them then you can feel for them. They are about 1/4" dia. and hiding in black open field plastic.

Guest wally888

Thanks to all.

Maybe I shoud have also asked if pulling out the IPC to access the connector( Clean terminals) is the right option or can I access it from the bottom?

Guest wally888

Recent posts mention hammer, large screwdriver and other means to solve problems.

I might suggest threats as my IPC (trip reset errors) has recovered since it learned I was removing trim panel to work it over!

Trim panel is still partially attached as I don't want to break anything until I'm sure about how to remove.

Suspect the plastic, knife like holders are much like those holding down the dash pad on 88/89's.

I had two stubborn clips on mine, one above the radio and one under the trip reset button. I tied a 6" piece of flexible wire to my "L" shaped tool, clamped the free end with vice grips and with an inch of slack in the wire popped back with the vice grips (slide hammer effect). It made some loud pops but came loose undamaged.

SS

If you are still having trouble with the dash trim I have one in my hand now.

There the two screws in the vents, and two above the instrument display,(torx)

There is a spring clip on each side of the steering colume and two below the radio and one above the A/C controls. I hope this helps.

Art The other Reatta Tec Advisor

Guest wally888

Thanks!

I managed to remove w/ putty knife as per Harry Y.

Mine had only 2 screws, none in upper section. Took a picture of the panel off showing clips. Hope to post at reatta.net