Please don't laugh

I am about to rebuild my 400 motor cause the crank is shot. This will be my first rebuild and I will need parts that fit. Any suggestions on where I should buy. TA Performance has a complete rebuild kit (top and Bottom ends) but that is about the only vendor I could find. From a prior post I know I need to find a good machine shop but in West Va, that'll be tough!

Thanks,

Did you check with your local NAPA store? Sometimes they have a machine shop as part of their operation. Also, go to the nearest race track and ask the guys where they get their work done.

One suggestion, sometimes you can buy a reman engine long block for less than the cost of a rebuild when you add up all the parts and machine shop fees. I don't know if you've had any formal training and this being your first attempt, a $1300 crate engine might be the way to go. Just a thought.

If you are in Harpers Ferry, there is a great Machine shop in Burtonsville, Maryland, near Laurel about 50 miles from you.

Burtonsville Machine Shop 301-490-3131, Chuck Roberts

They build great engines for stockers or race,boats etc, about 4-5 months waiting time.They have built many of the 455 Buicks that run out of Maryland.

My engine in my 68 Sportwagon (a 464 cu. in. 455 ) ran super until my own dumb fault.

It ran a best of 10.31 @ 129.85 in the Quarter mile at Englishtown NJ over the Labor day weekend.

I think they could order the parts for you if you have them build the engine

Good luck!

Bill

"DEAD SPORTWAGON FROM HELL"