322 Flywheel Questions

brad54

Questions on Nailhead flywheels:

Will a 264 flywheel work on a 322?

How were the 322s balanced?

Will a 364 flywheel work on a 322?

Can the 264 or 364 be used if the reciprocating assembly is rebalanced?

It's a stretch, I know, but would the Straight 8 flywheels work? (Hey, I've asked dumber questions and been surprised!)

Are there any other flywheels out there that would work on a 322 Nailhead?

Thanks,

-Brad

Wow, that was pretty cool! Thanks for the link. I saw them in Street Rodder a couple of months ago, but the article said they didn't have an adapter for the 322, so I never called. Can't ever trust those magazine articles! (said the tech editor)

Still want to swap the transmission and build the car. Moved, and am looking at a ton of home improvements, and building my shop before I spin wrenches on the Buick. But I did get a great intake manifold for it!

-Brad

Brad

Some more answers. From my 1955 parts book: the 322 uses a different fly wheel than the 264 whether dynaflow or standard trans. At the other end the the 322 uses a harmonic balancer and the 264 used a pully. The same cranshaft is used in both engines. I can't help with any 364 or straight 8 interchanges or with other years the 322 and/or 264 were used. I have no idea how they are balanced, but probably both internal and external: I am helping a friend rebuild a 55 322 now and it is still apart. The dynaflow flywheel will bolt on only one way as long as the alignment pin is on the crankshaft is present and of course the harmonic balancer will only install in one position. The flywheel has holes to make it lighter that are opposite the rear crankshaft counter weights making it heavier in line the the crank weights. The harmonic balancer has a built in offset weight that is in the same plane as the front crankshaft counter weights. I have had engines balanced and the machine shop needs all of the rotating and reciprocating parts: balancer and/or pullys, crankshaft, flywheel, pistons, rods, pins, rings and if possible the torque converter or clutch parts. On a previous rebuild they took material off the pistons and rods and added material to the dynaflow flywheel...on this current project material was removed from the rods and some was added to the crankshaft. You will see what I?m talking about when you get one apart.

Willie