Purchase Information

I am looking top purchase a Reatta and would like to know what to look for. What are the big ticket items that need to know about during inspection or driving. Any help will be most appreciated.

1) does everything work

2) are there any warning lights

3) any glass cracked

Start with those. Be aware that there can be some things wrong that would cost more than a replacemnt car to fix.

Guest tempest68

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> 3) any glass cracked </div></div>

Especially this item. New front windshields are becoming scarce and extremely expensive ($1200 or more). Also thought the vent windows were scarce/pricy too.

As seems to be typical with the GM FWD cars, the transmission is the weakest link in the drive-train. But its a common unit, so dont let one with a worn transmission scare you away.

It seems that every Reatta is a $6000 car. No matter what you pay you will wind up with at least $6000 invested ( I have considerably more in mine and was very nice when I bought it)

Guest EDBS0

When I purchase a special interest car that I know I am going to keep I know that within the year I am likely going to replace all the struts, rotors, pads, tires, plugs, wires, O2, sensor and do a transmission flush and cooler, brake flush, rad flush, detail the paint and interior. Plus what ever motor surprises there are.

Unless these parts are less than 25% used up I prefer to replace them.

My experience is a seller might insist that these items are nearly perfect ... THEY AREN'T

For example the owner of my current Reatta insisted that the original struts were perfect HA! the car proposed all the way home, it got to be kind of fun after 10 hours on the highway at 75mph.

Reattas rust I would concentrate on getting a southern car from a dry climate and then worry about dry rot of the plastic and rubber parts.

Either way a coupe will likely end up at $6,000 unless you get cursed with AC, brake or transmission problems.

Be willing to pay a premium for a complete maintenance history. It indicated a certain pride of ownership.