Is this car worth saving? 67 98

Hi Everyone,

Glad I found this forum. I've got a 67 Olds 98 4 dr from my Dad's estate that we (the family) don't know if it's worth trying to sell or just let the junkyard or someone have it for parts, so we need your advice. It's in fair condition but would take a good amount of work just to make it a daily driver, and a LOT of work to make it more than that. Dad bought it in 1968 at a dealer auction in Detroit through his brother who was a dealer, it was a factory executive driven car so it has most options on it that was available that year. Here's the list that I can remember: tilt/telescoping steering wheel, power windows & 6 way seat, cruise, cornering lights, power antenna, wonderbar radio (don't remember if it's AM only or AM/FM), rear window defroster, posi rear, 425 Rocket "Ultra High Compression" engine. There may be more but that's what I can recall. I know the car well since I learned to drive and got my license in it, but don't really have much interest in trying to keep it. The engine has always run good and has never had any major mechanical work done on it. The body is fair with some rust and a few dents here and there. The front clip was replaced years ago after Dad hit a deer with it but that's the extent of any bodywork that's been done. The color is platinum with a black vinyl top. It's always been garaged so the top is good and the interior is in above average condition. Give me your thoughts on what we should do with it. Thanks!

Joe

It's really hard to say based on your description, but I would say to make a half way decent job of it, you'd spend at least $3,000 for engine, trans etc rebuild which are probably needed. It's nice if you can find a car with nice interior/exterior to start with. Then basically all you need is to go through the mechanicals. A lot depends on how much you can do yourself. I like rebuilding engines, but I find with the machine work, it can eat a big hole in your pocket. The little stuff can nickel-dime you to death also. A set of spark plugs, some new wiper blades, a new wiper motor, a blower motor for the heater ad nauseum.

Guest imported_DaveZZZ

Is it possible you could get some photos of the interior and engine, and tell me where you are located? I have a 67 98 convertible, and I had planned on picking up a parts car. However, I don't know how much the interiors are similar on the 2 and 4 door cars. For one thing, my front seat was reupholstered some years ago, and while they did a good job, they did not come even close to matching the correct pattern.

-Dave

From a financial standpoint, it's probably not worth investing the cost of a restoration in a 1967 98 sedan. Convertible, yes. Holiday coupe, maybe. Even an LS goes for only $5-7000 in excellent condition and they'll sit a long time then, because they have to have the right buyer. They're not practical as a daily driver because of the gas mileage. And you indicate you have no real interest in the car.

The sedan and convertible interiors are very different, but most of the mechanical components interchange so it might be useful to a convertible owner as a parts car.

All of you know by now that I like 98s and that I believe any four door can be a practical and stylish collector car, but you have to realise that you cannot save them all. Four door cars have to be top-flight to be a good collector car.

Glenn, I don't remember seeing any reference to a Holiday model in the 67 literature, what distinguishes a Holiday from the others? Is it the 2 door? Before this car Dad had a 59 Dynamic 88 (4 dr) Holiday with the roof that overhung the back window but I thought they had dropped the Holiday designation by 67. I tried to figure out what exact model the 67 is once from descriptions in the owners manual and was never sure, if I remember correctly (this was a while ago) the LS should have an emblem on the roof pillar, which this car doesn't, and the Town Sedans are post sedans. Maybe you can give me some insight.

I said I don't have much interest in trying to keep it, but I'm torn because the car has sentimental value to me and would hate to see it relinquished to the scrap yard. The problem is I've got 2 other old cars already, my wife has her heart set on one that will be our next purchase, and I don't know if I have time or room for a 4th project!

Dave, I'm in NW Wisconsin. Glenn already indicated the interiors are different so I don't know how much help this car would be to you. I don't have any pictures of the car yet but may be able to get some the next trip up there, the car is 1 1/2 hours away.

Joe