spray gun

WillBilly53

i'm wanting to buy a gravity fed spray gun to paint my car. i'm gonna spray epoxy primer, then a base coat, and then the top coats.

does anybody have any suggestions. i don't have much money, i can spend about $100. is this feasable?

i'm going to use House of Kolor shimrin glamour metallic base coat and then the kandy for the top coats.

thanks!

Will,

Spend the money and get yourself a Binks gun.

You will be much happier if you do that then if you buy a cheap gun.

In Paint guns, you get what you pay for.

ESPECIALLY if you ae going to be using the House of Color paints.

At 400 bucks a quart for the top coats, you dont want to mess that up.

Save your pennies and get a good gun. It is worth it in the long run.

One suggestion, you may want to think about an HVLP system. I tried one on some interior molding in the house last week and it worked out great. From what I hear it uses less paint (less overspray) and creates less fumes.

Have you checked Eastwood out ?

thanks for the advice, bill.

this tool is going to be responsible for the final prodcut, in a way. not that i've skempt on other parts of the car, it's just that the final paint job will be what the "outer world" sees, the initial introduction.

i did go to eastwood to check out their guns. is the DeVilbiss anygood? i'm just not sure i'll be able to swing 289 for the binks. i've also been reading in my "automotive paint handbook" by John Pfanstiehl about the hvlp system. it does indeed seem the best way to go.

Last month I took an auto painting class at McPherson College's Auto Restoration program in Kansas. They use DeVilbiss paint guns exclusively, and they do a good job, however, the instructor really emphasized cleanliness (disassembling the gun after each use, etc., and cleaning it).

Pete Phillips, BCA #7338

Ector, Texas

thanks pete.

i was actually debating going to school there for the auto restoration program. a friend of mine at Midas who owns a '57 Chrysler 300c was trying to get me to go down there.

one other thing i forgot to add about the importance of paint:

IT PROTECTS THE CAR!