stainless trim around rear windshield and front windshield

WillBilly53

I'm trying to get that moulding off too.

I have a tool mfd by Lisle. It is sort of a thin plier - with hook ends. I tried unsuccessfuly to use it today. I can feel the clips - felt like I was dragging one in the channel - but I could not get it to release. The end of the pliers kind of looks like the shape of this Eastwood thing.

Good Luck.

How Did you say you got your wiper arms off ?

Ira

Not to throw a damper on your party but that tool will work on 60's 70's 80's era cars. If your 53 is anything like my 55's the moldings will be held on by thru the body clips that you have to remove a nut to remove (usually at corners and then other pieces can slide off other clips that are riveted to the pinch weld). You need a service manual or Fisher body manual or hopefully someone here has done this and can lead you in the right direction.

Willie

yeah, i'll let you know if the one from eastwood works.

wiper arms:

pretty hilarious. all it is is a splined shaft. i'm replacing the wiper arms so i just took my pliers and pulled the arms off the controls. i was searching forever for an allen screw or some that ran transverse, you know?

Tank - I had another look at the rear mouldings (63).

There is one stud & Speed Nut on the corner. I need a deep socket to get it out - will try tomorrow. Now hopefully I didn't break anything with that Lisle tool - like some clips or the rubber arond the window. This is very tempermental stuff! And I'm trying to AVOID probs by taking stuff off myself - maybe that was not such a good idea after all.

i'm just trying to remove the stainless with out damaging it. i'm gonna have to replace the cracked, rock hard, half-destroyed-anyways weatherseal. so i don't care about that. but i also don't want to crack the glass. buit it IS indeed tempermental.

see what i can do tommorrow morning...