Montana registration for California cars

I saw this ad on Craigslist today. I was not aware that California had gotten difficult for military vehicles, but maybe it's a late model smog thing. I have a neighbor who registers their cars in Montana. I'm sure it's much cheaper. 

Years ago I lived near the Nevada border and I knew a local California Highway Patrolman who's sole job it was to dive around town and look for cars that appeared to belong to local California residents but had Nevada tags.  The state takes this stuff seriously, so this kind of deal is taking a chance, but I can think of a lot of neat cars you could never register here, so I see both sides.

Montana Registration Services- Humvee and any other cars - $399 (Anaheim)

https://orangecounty.craigslist.org/cto/d/anaheim-montana-registration-services/7792768656.html

• Like 1

Here is the deal.  Every state has different rules.   In Mass I can register my antiques out of state,  but they need to stay out of state except for a limited amount of time, like 30 days a year.  Some states, you just need to keep them out for 6 months or a year and then you can bring them in.   Depending on the rules it may work in California, but I'll bet it is more like Mass where the cars need to be out of state 90% of the year.

• Like 1