Leaking Axle Grease Seals

EmTee

I have owned my enclosed car hauler (purchased new) for a year now.  I have put about 5,000 miles on it over the past 12 months.  In preparation for its annual NY state safety inspection i decided to pull the hubs and re-pack the wheel bearings.  To my surprise, the first wheel I removed revealed brakes slathered with grease!  Long story short is I found the same situation on 3 of the 4 hubs.  The odd thing is I didn't notice any issue with braking; my expectation was to re-pack bearings, reassemble and adjust the brakes.  Instead, I had the dealer service the brakes and seals while it was there for inspection.

I talked with the dealer/owner and he said that he gets 2 or 3 trailers in every week with the same issue.  He said the grease seals available are 'junk'.  I was blaming the manufacturer with over-filling the 'EZ-Lube' hubs and said that my plan is to only hand-pack the bearings from now on.  He said that even if I do that, I still need to inject grease through the zerk fitting until new grease just exits the outer bearing or I will likely suffer a roadside bearing failure.

He said that there are better quality seals available (from Timken?), but they are quite expensive.  My trailer has a pair of 5K Lippert torsion axles.  Has anyone else experienced this problem?  If so, what have you done to resolve it?

New trailers use ready made

axle assemblies that the 

trailer manufacturer installs.

Components are not checked

to make sure they are correctly

manufactured/assembled by

the trailer builder.

if you are buying from a

reputable trailer dealer

part of what their mark up

over manufacturer cost

should be to completely 

inspect the trailer before

it leaves their lot

(so to speak because 

many trailer dealers ship

trailers to customers direct

from the trailer builder).

Jim

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Trulyvintage said:

f you are buying from a

reputable trailer dealer

part of what their mark up

over manufacturer cost

should be to completely 

inspect the trailer before

it leaves their lot

I agree.  That said, I paid for the brake repair only because the dealership is a small, family-owned business and the issue wasn't really his fault.  I inspected the seals when i removed the drums and discovered the problem.  Two of the leaky seals didn't have any obvious physical defects; one did show a small nick in the lip.  Oddly, the seal on the one dry wheel had a obvious lip defect, yet the grease stayed-put...

I told the dealer that I would not be paying for this service going forward.  If it happens again, I'll be doing the repair and will investigate alternative seals.  There are numerous threads on internet RV forums complaining about this issue with Lippert 'EZ-Lube' hubs.  I didn't see as many complaints associated with Dexter axles, but the designs are similar (same?).  Maybe Dexter uses better quality seals...?

While I can appreciate

you choose to do business 

that way - it was their fault.

If you ordered the trailer from

them and if you paid them

then they are responsible

for prepping the trailer

and checking everything

to make sure it is roadworthy

because that’s what

you’re paying them to do.

Paying for the repairs that were

a warranty item sets

the tone for future warranty

issues because you have

alreadynwaived your right

to return the trailer to

the manufacturer

representative

that you bought

it from and if you read

the writing in your warranty

you have to do that.

If you have repairs done

that are covered under

warranty by unauthorized

factory service your

warranty is null and void.

Jim

Edited by Trulyvintage (see edit history)