1962 Oldsmobile 394 v8 Dynamic 88

We just rebuilt this 1962 Dynamic 88 394. The center ports on the intake are discoloring. These are exhaust ports that heat up the choke, etc. Anyone else experienced this? This is a "replacement" original intake. We checked the "old" one and it had rust, etc in this same area. The paint is the red engine paint from Fusick. Is there something else we need to know? Are we missing something?

Thanks,

Lance

IMG_0625.JPG

IMG_0626.JPG

• Like 1

I wouldn't consider it unusual. The way I remember it OHV V8 engines of the period all did that, not just Oldsmobile. Make sure you don't have a restriction like a stuck heat riser or a plugged exhaust on one side, but other than that I think you can ignore it.

Edited by Bloo (see edit history)

Exhaust gas flows through that crossover. That's what it's there for. Of course the heat will cause the paint to discolor. That's also why the hot air tube for the choke runs into that space. If it didn't get hot the choke wouldn't work. These cars were designed to be driven. No one planned on them being displayed as art. Drive the car, enjoy it, and stop losing sleep over this.

• Like 1