320 ENGINE STAND SUPPORT-RECOMMENDATIONS??

I have a 1200 lb. stand built for diesel engines that had additional supports holding the upright support piece in place, but the problem with the straight-8 is the length, not the weight. It's a VERY long lever arm. I think I had my bare '41 Century engine on it without any additional supports but if you hang it from the bellhousing, you'll need to support the nose. Here's what I ended up doing:

• Like 2

If you bolt the block directly to the engine stand without the bellhousing, the heavy-duty model I mentioned should hold it. I disassembled my engine without a support and I was still able to rotate it.

Separated1.jpg.2db79406ef684701c04aef6e00393d1f.jpg

1500 lb. Capacity Gear-Driven Rotating Engine Stand

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I don't recall where I bought mine (it was nearly 25 years ago) but a 2000 pound stand should work just fine as long as the legs are long enough to keep it from tipping forward. The two braces on the back of the upright support are critical, too.

I had a 1938 248 on an engine stand many years ago. And that job got me into the habit of giving the pivot point a generous handful of grease.

Because my family has so many English majors I will include this:

Why is it handful and not handfull?

The confusion arises because most "-ful" words were once two words: a noun followed by the adjective "full." When "hand full" became "handful," the "s" migrated from the end of "hand" to the end of the new word. That's why most usage authorities favor handfuls, teaspoonfuls, bucketfuls and mouthfuls.