For Sale: 1966 Mercury Monterey Breezeway 4dr Sedan - $9,000 - Shoreline, WA (Seattle-Edmonds) - Not Mine

For Sale: 1966 Mercury Monterey Breezeway 4dr Sedan - $9,000 - Shoreline, WA (Seattle-Edmonds)

1966 mercury monterey for sale by owner - Seattle, WA - craigslist
Seller's Description:

1966 Mercury Monterey Breezeway 4dr Sedan. This car has a 390ci V8 engine with 275hp, 2bbl, automatic transmission. Perfect body and interior, Dealership replaced the engine at 75,000 miles, so 75,000 miles on the current engine. Mac's Upholstery in Seattle had the original seat fabric when they did the seats, and the body shop replaced rusted metal with fresh steel. Paint is factory-correct Ice Blue Poly. Electric ignition replaced the old points. Carburetor rebuilt and fuel tank and lines flushed.  Tires only have a few thousand miles on them. Good brakes, rear window works, but I have not re-chromed anything.  Candidate for an easy resto-mod, lowrider or keep it as a classic. Rebuild this engine or drop in a performance V8.

Best offer takes it away - seriously.
Copy and paste in your email: 5fa314b91ca73e4d9b6dbd5cb136e66a@sale.craigslist.org

I have no personal interest or stake in the eventual sale of this 1966 Mercury Monterey Breezeway 4dr Sedan.
The Standard Catalog of American Cars, 1946-1975, edited by John Gunnell states 14,174 1966 Mercury Monterey Breezeway 4dr Sedans built.

'66 Mercury Monterey Breezeway WA a.jpg

'66 Mercury Monterey Breezeway WA b.jpg

'66 Mercury Monterey Breezeway WA c.jpg

'66 Mercury Monterey Breezeway WA d.jpg

'66 Mercury Monterey Breezeway WA e.jpg

'66 Mercury Monterey Breezeway WA f.jpg

'66 Mercury Monterey Breezeway WA g.jpg

'66 Mercury Monterey Breezeway WA h.jpg

'66 Mercury Monterey Breezeway WA i.jpg

'66 Mercury Monterey Breezeway WA j.jpg

'66 Mercury Monterey Breezeway WA k.jpg

'66 Mercury Monterey Breezeway WA l.jpg

• Like 2

I think this breezeway design on the later '50's Continentals and '60's Mercurys is extremely unattractive whether it's a coupe or sedan. Reminds me of my great grandmother's gardening bonnet.

The "C" pillar is grossly out of proportion and ruins the smoother design of the other models.

A number of these have shown up here lately. I guess somebody likes them...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 7th Son said:

I think this breezeway design on the later '50's Continentals and '60's Mercurys is extremely unattractive whether it's a coupe or sedan. Reminds me of my great grandmother's gardening bonnet.

The "C" pillar is grossly out of proportion and ruins the smoother design of the other models.

A number of these have shown up here lately. I guess somebody likes them...

Guilty, as charged! Admittedly the coved roof is incongruous with the rest of the design, but it was not only to provide the flow-through ventilation function but was also to provide Mercury with at least one unique model differentiated from the Fords with which it shared all other body styles.  Mercury dealers, after suffering through the lackluster sales for the full-sized 1961-'62 models, when the Mercury was little more than a slightly restyled Ford, demanded more distinctive styling and some feature unavailable elsewhere they could sell.  L-M designers reached into their bag of styling gimmicks, pulled out the breezeway rear window from the 1957-'58 Mercury Turnpike Cruisers and 1958-'60 Lincoln Continental Marks.  The tooling bill was pretty reasonable, requiring only a roof shell and ancillary window trims, apparently even utilized the functional window components from the station wagon.  All this still fit onto the basic body shells it shared with Fords but gave the Mercurys a distinct look and a feature to sell.   The sales improved so the dealers were placated. 

Recognizing the appeal of the 1963-'64 breezeway two-door body was lacking, replaced by the rising fastback popularity, only the four-door sedan bodies were offered for 1965-'66.   The severe rectilinearity of the 1965-'66 styling accommodates the coved roof style as well as it was going to ever be.  The more curvaceous 1967-'68 styling wouldn't have so the feature became invisible, a rear window that retracts two inches under the slight overhang of the inset rear window.   Mercury hedged its bets, anyway, offered the conventional roofline sedans for 1965-'66 in parallel.  

For those who like a full-sized 1960's car in good condition for a reasonable price because their popularity hasn't driven up prices and presents a unique feature, these breezeway Mercurys are hard to beat.  Guaranteed at any show, this now-curious feature will attract a lot of attention.

'66 Mercury Monterey sedan NJ e.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

7 hours ago, 58L-Y8 said:

For those who like a full-sized 1960's car in good condition for a reasonable price because their popularity hasn't driven up prices and presents a unique feature, these breezeway Mercurys are hard to beat.  Guaranteed at any show, this now-curious feature will attract a lot of attention.

These would attract attention, too, due to their "curious" features, not good design.

1977 AMC Gremlin X, Levi Package - eBay ...image.jpeg.38e345bb3c1716b807829ffee259cdb4.jpegimage.jpeg.b73e2309262a9e72981a2fec0d63cbd7.jpeg25 of the Ugliest Cars Ever Made

Edited by Dave Wells (see edit history)
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Dave Wells said:

These would attract attention, too, due to their "curious" features, not good design.

1977 AMC Gremlin X, Levi Package - eBay ...image.jpeg.38e345bb3c1716b807829ffee259cdb4.jpegimage.jpeg.b73e2309262a9e72981a2fec0d63cbd7.jpeg25 of the Ugliest Cars Ever Made

Well, variety is the spice of life.  The appearance of any of these in the usual cruise night sea of the popular is a relief from the monotony.  Some folks just like the unusual...

• Like 2

I too am guilty of liking the breezeway windowed Mercury's...and Lincolns too. A next door neighbor had two when I was a kid and I have been smitten ever since.  It's a good thing this car is all the way across the country from me.