67 Olds Toronodo axles

ufdaland

No, they are different RH/LH. Also, there was a mid-year changed in Toro drive axles. Early 1967 cars used the 1966 style round type, later 1967 cars used the 1968 type triangular.

Right, Pumpkin is offset from  center line so axles are different length. Good to know, Joe, that there was a change mid-year.

Pumpkin is slang for differential.😉

Thanks for the info. A parts house tried to tell me they are the same. thought I better check. I haven't pulled my axles yet but think it may be wise to replace them if the price is right. I am building a 37 Cord using a Cord body with a Buick 6 engine and toronodo transmission. I had to make a drive extention between the engine and differential. I had to make a top of fiber-glas because I didn't have the top bows. I made a lift off top. I'm about ready for primer.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Frank DuVal said:

Right, Pumpkin is offset from  center line so axles are different length. Good to know, Joe, that there was a change mid-year.

Pumpkin is slang for differential.😉

The pumpkin is offset, but the axle flanges are not. There is a stub shaft that comes out of the passenger side of the center section so that the flanges and thus inboard CV joints are in the same place relative to the control arm pivot points. Otherwise the front suspension would be problematic.

Yep, I forgot to mention that. It's been over 20 years since I worked on my ElDorado and Seville drivetrains. There is a bracket on the right frame to hold the stub axle in place, so the arc swung by the axles is the same. Wait, so why is the right and left different? The length should be the same for the same reason of arc size.

On to Google.

Hmm, originally the right axle had a rubber torsional damper. Wait again, that was added in 1978? So that's not it.... Not much else about it. The balls inside do not seem to care which way the axle spins. Wait, the next person says his 75 has the rubber in the right axle. But listings for 75 and earlier show same right and left. Maybe because the rebuilders leave out the rubber, since it probably is no longer serviceable? 79 and newer lists right and left.

???