Wanted: 1953 Skylark parts (beware of scammers)

Posted (edited)

Updating this thread after a very new member notified me he knows another member with some of the parts I am seeking.

He said he had bought some parts from him and he may have what I'm looking for.

I email the person and he sends me pics of exactly what I am looking for - what are the chances? And best of all his prices

are below market. He shows me a pic of 5 K/H wheels that look like new and I asked for some close-up pics of them.

He sends me pics of entirely different wheels that were being auctioned on ebay and said that was his auction listing.

The ebay wheels were in terrible condition, and had no resemblance to the first pic he had sent. He asked me for my shipping location many times

which to me is a dead giveaway that they don't want local pickup (because this is a scam and they don't have the parts).

I looked up the user name the new member directed me to and found he has been on this forum since 2011 and I sent him a message asking if he

was the person I was trying to buy parts from. He replied that it was NOT him. So the guy that gave me the lead just chose a members user name here

and told me he was the seller.

This was not the first time a scammer has tried fooling me into sending him money. These scams are getting much more frequent, and I just wanted to give

the community a heads-up and to make sure who you are dealing with, and ask for lots of pics.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________   

Struggling through finding some parts for this Skylark project. 

Needed: some ss side trim (gas filler door and piece behind it and one other piece). We have 9 of the 12 pieces.

Trunk emblem with Roadmaster on it - pictured below along with some older photos.

Additional parts also needed.

Alan

trunk emblem.jpg

c.jpg

e.jpg

Edited by Florida Guy
scam update (see edit history)

• 2 months later...

Still in need of side trim for driver's door and small strip behind gas door.

Advice requested: not at that point yet, but looking into having these original K-H wheels restored at Truspoke in CA.

Have others used them for restoration, and are you pleased with their work? 

48Super - Thanks for the heads-up.  I called Tom and the Skylark has been sold along with the parts.

The owner of the sedan still has it and is going to check and see if he has any of the parts I am looking for.  

• Florida Guy changed the title to Wanted: 1953 Skylark parts (beware of scammers)

Wanted to push this thread to the top with my scam update. I posted this in the first post and here is a copy:

Updating this thread after a very new member notified me he knows another member with some of the parts I am seeking.

He said he had bought some parts from him and he may have what I'm looking for.

I email the person and he sends me pics of exactly what I am looking for - what are the chances? And best of all his prices

are below market. He shows me a pic of 5 K/H wheels that look like new and I asked for some close-up pics of them.

He sends me pics of entirely different wheels that were being auctioned on ebay and said that was his auction listing.

The ebay wheels were in terrible condition, and had no resemblance to the first pic he had sent. He asked me for my shipping location many times

which to me is a dead giveaway that they don't want local pickup (because this is a scam and they don't have the parts).

I looked up the user name the new member directed me to and found he has been on this forum since 2011 and I sent him a message asking if he

was the person I was trying to buy parts from. He replied that it was NOT him. So the guy that gave me the lead just chose a members user name here

and told me he was the seller.

This was not the first time a scammer has tried fooling me into sending him money. These scams are getting much more frequent, and I just wanted to give

the community a heads-up and to make sure who you are dealing with, and ask for lots of pics.

• Like 1