Then, Then, and Now in the Motor City.

The Ford Motor Company is the automotive tie-in here, with the purchase and restoration financing (over 1 billion dollars) of the Michigan Central Train Station.

Ford and GM, both, continue to contribute to the restoration and preservation of the city of Detroit.

Then 1913

Picture 1 of 2

Then 1988-2018

Ford has revitalized the iconic but long-abandoned Michigan Central Station in Detroit, transforming it into a technology campus.

Image may contain Corridor Crypt Vehicle Transportation Train Terminal Train Station Architecture and Building

Now 2024

Michigan Central sets date to re-open in Detroit's Corktown

Michigan Central Station is ready to shine again in Detroit

Inside the newly renovated Michigan Central Station

Inside Michigan Central: Take a photo and video tour ahead of this week's  grand opening

https://www.cnn.com/2024/06/03/economy/detroit-michigan-central-station/index.html

• Like 5

As the village historian for where I live ( and my family settled a century ago this year) I have seen and heard the " gee its to bad it still isn't around" way to often , but to many times a structure is ignored until it no longer can be saved. then the "regret" comments start.  It takes a lot of effort to get a magnificent building or even an early simple house, garage or store to be preserved and make others realize it is our heritage. Seeing the real object/structure is like viewing one of our old cars - photos are great but to see the 3 dimensional object is what it is all about- how the light plays on the surfaces, shadows etc. Sometimes you have to make a noise to get that done and saved and preserved . That may anger a lot of people and when it is preserved /restored you only sometimes, maybe, get faint praise BUT the personal satisfaction that you "did good " will be there.

• Like 2