By 1923, Lexington’s production fell to about 2,000 vehicles. This decline could be attributed to the negative press surrounding the Brush lawsuit, as well as the post-World War I recession that resulted in the failings of many American automobile companies. Between 1926 and 1927, E.L. Cord’s Auburn Automobile Company purchased the Lexington Motor Car Company, and Lexington was soon phased out. The factories were later used to make Auburns, Cords, Packard-Darrins and Army Jeeps.

While many car companies in the early 1900s were just trying to keep up with the competition, the Lexington Motor Car Company consistently strived to be innovative. Their six-cylinder engine was ahead of it’s time, and the company’s performance in various races brought it unmatched notoriety. There’s no guessing what could have became of the company if not for a pesky lawsuit and an unavoidable recession. Regardless, the Lexington Motor Company had solidified it’s place in automotive history.

From 

https://www.dancummins.com/lexington-motor-company-history/

Hopefully original poster will return, as there are currently no pics on internet that I can find of Anstead 6-50 (rebadged Lexington 6-50) that were last remnants of stock sold off. (1926-1928?)There was apparently an earlier Ansted-Lexington badged models (1922 onwards?) sold through Custom Department as a special order.

Unknown number made/ sold of 1926-1928 model. Serial numbers 50,801 onwards.

Fingers crossed. Been waiting a while to see one. Thanks Rod.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Those are awesome pictures there, a BIG personal 'Thank You Very Much' from me.

I have had a couple of computers fail on me in the past couple of years, and nearly all of my Lexington info is out there somewhere on a back up drive, or in 'That cloud.'

You prompted me to put together a quick info piece on what I have found from memory, (which always isn't a good start,) but..

And this was posted in reply to a long ago asked query the other day.

https://forums.aaca.org/topic/220908-anstedanstead-engine-model-list/#comment-2685578

image.png.5626843b4ac74687278c8d75a986117a.png.49f9f81fab2f1d763c38768127ad7b28.png

The earlier Series C Ansted engine as used in 1921-1922 had the water pump mounted on side of rear , driven by a long shaft from the front. And the starter motor was on the other side. 

1920-LEXINGTON-THE-ANSTED-ENGINE-4x625-x2-GC-pages-6-7.jpg.7ce71c0b76a7089fb11e91c3fd8d1608.jpg

So yours I believe is a later version of Ansted series C, late? 1922 or 1923.

20231005_130747.jpg.a2f853c79321b82c80b6c3a77a55170d.jpg.dc92fc91f65b879c576ed70099c76d0c.jpg

Below, 1923 Durant Brochure for their B-22 model. Ansted Series C was instead stamped D? on their engine, as was used in Durant 1922-1924?And as was often done, no mention of engine Manufacturer.

default(8).jpg.f881d3983bd3c0e5ebc0307919531645.jpg

The Lexington cars had their own Model numbers, as well as Ansted engine series numbers, and thinking yours is a  Ansted series C, but unsure why there is a Y stamped as well?

The Lexington Models for 'newer' series C 1922, were U, 22, and V.

The Lexington Models for 1923 where listed as U, and 23. 

Whether the Y was meant to be a V?, the bloke who stamped them got confused, or whether they lost the V stamp, and who would know?

Or whether Y was added to cars built from sell off parts, but probably not as picture of id plate on previous post was from Lexington 1922 car, Ansted series number was CY, unless this perhaps denoted a later replacement engine? Or perhaps CY denotes the later series C engine?

It is very rare to see good Ansted engine pics, and ID plates still attached.

Also I think all the Ansted engine serial number ID plates I have seen, (which isn't that many) all have only a 4 digit number. 

So much is unknown, like with many of the more uncommon cars on this forum.

The 1924 Lexington Concord and Minute man used a slightly different looking engine (when viewed from the front) , Ansted series, F, M, and the final Cars sold, Lexington/ Ansted badge 6-50 used the M series engine.

I will add picture when I find it, as this was the M series of engine used in the buyout years. And is very different to yours.

Series F, almost 40 Cubic inches bigger capacity, 7 more HP @3000 rpm, and longer stroke.

But identical except for capacity differences

image.jpeg.bc2e58f19e831414545b5e9f16be59cb.jpeg

Below, 1924 Modified Lexington Concord Speedster project from Bring a trailer. 

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1924-lexington-modified-concord-boattail-speedster/

1924Lexdriversside.webp.56410ccb1f0f8c3e84582df3d2a83e4d.webp

1924Lexpassside.webp.99369b0edea16ee8492916abcbc22f9c.webp

1924Lex1.webp.92be0afea3467cf60c3692ad7993cfd7.webp

Hard to tell, but front of engine looks completely different to Series C engine.

So where does this leave you?

Unless you plan to keep it, and rebuilt it for a project, I would leave it as it is, UNTOUCHED. 

Do not try to add electricity and start it. Nor fuel. 

Unless you know the history?, it is all unknown. What did it power in its current set up?

Let the new owner do what they wish with it.

The buyer is buying an unknown, buyer beware.

So in my opinion, what you have is a very sellable item, whether as a spare engine, parts, or start of a rebuild project?

Of the Ansted era engine Lexingtons, (and Durants B-22 ) left in the whole wide world, my estimate  would be less than 100. That is a guess obviously. Running and going/ collectables, probably less than 50?

A disassembled one in many pieces (same 1922/23 engine only) sold for about $1000.00 USD. In the last couple of years.

But yours is complete. The Zenith carburettor is not original, which isn't here or there, people change anything and everything. But a correct Rayfield M series carburettor will be harder to find, but possible, and not your concern. 

And of course you also have what appears to be correct radiator shroud, and radiator, which one would think would be sought after as well.

The Lexington owners on forum, or friends of Lexington owners will be mentioning what you have and someone might make you an offer or show an interest? Or you can name your price and see what happens. But definitely an historical engine well worth preserving by somebody.

You would need next to mention where you/ engine is located, as well as your price. People will usually only drive so far, but you never know?

Thank you very much for getting back with those pictures. I will sleep well tonight. Yours, Rod.

Edited by Rod P
extra info (see edit history)

Posted (edited)

A 'problem' with this forum, is there can be 'too much' information on it, if you are only looking for a certain type of vehicle. 

So this thread will be overlooked by most people, way down in ACD section, and there is no Lexington section. Yet.😀

Next step would be to post in this section. (I think)

https://forums.aaca.org/forum/14-automobiles-and-parts-buysell/

You can put up one or two pics, and link it back to this thread for more information, or repost all your pictures in the sell section mentioned.

And your location is needed, as that can make a big difference.

Thanks, Rod.

Edited by Rod P
spelling (see edit history)

2 hours ago, Rod P said:

A 'problem' with this forum, is there can be 'too much' information on it, if you are only looking for a certain type of vehicle. 

So this thread will be overlooked by most people, way down in ACD section, and there is no Lexington section. Yet.😀

Next step would be to post in this section. (I think)

https://forums.aaca.org/forum/14-automobiles-and-parts-buysell/

You can put up one or two pics, and link it back to this thread for more information, or repost all your pictures in the sell section mentioned.

And your location is needed, as that can make a big difference.

Thanks, Rod.

The forum is full searchable and is indexed by google also.  So you could find this thread easily from anywhere on the internet.

• Like 2

Thanks alsancle. 

How I probably should of put it was that if you are manually scrolling down the forum page, there is much choice. Recent posts appear on right for a while. But a Buick reader might not scroll down to Ford etc. 

As this post was in ACD, probably better now in 'For Sale,' for more views. 

And yes, forum search bar and internet search for Lexington would bring you here. If you were looking.

Thanks, Rod.