Rear wheel cylinder '38 Roadmaster

KAW

The right rear wheel cylinder in my '38 Roadmaster needs to be replaced or rebuilt and I'm not having any luck finding the correct one.  I've tried all the parts sources I usually use ....... CARS, Bob's Automobilia, ebay......etc. with no luck.  My mechanic says the rear cylinders on the '38 series 80 & 90 have a 1 3/16 inch bore and I cannot locate a replacement in that size, nor can I find a repair kit.  CARS can rebuild my wheel cylinder but that will take 6 weeks or more and I am hoping to get one much sooner.  Does anyone have a suggestion?  My mechanic works exclusively on old cars and is very good......he's 80 and has been doing this kind of work for over 60 years.  He says he can easily fix this one if I can find the correct size repair kit.  I would be just as happy to buy a new or rebuilt cylinder if I could locate one.

Posted (edited)

Here is a couple of things that may help.

There is  a kit for chev on ebay  that would probably  work for you ,---23488100575784

1./316 bore  out of  Sayville  New York, for $10.49.

Also  a very good re sleeve rebuilder   is ---White post restorations  ph 540 837 1140

out of VA.---give them a call for time to do it for you.

Your very good older mechanic  will know this, but if the cylinder is not to bad,

that can be honed very easy by hand, just before going under spec, then fitting a new kit 

i have done this on many  sixties Buicks over the years.---regards.

Edited by Wayne R (see edit history)