837 Engine

Hi, a novice to Grahams, but looking at an 837 from 1929 which is for sale.

Two questions :

- Where on the car may I find the chassis number ?

- Have problems finding photos of the engine on the net.  Only thing I found was from a car in which the engine appeared to be a mirror image!!! (No- photo was not reversed -checked that with reference to the steering box) Can anyone confirm that the engine in the attached pictures from the car I am looking at is original to a 1929 837 ?

Left Hand Side.jpg

Right Hand Side.jpg

Yes I can....

Two questions :

Two places to find the SN.  First, inside the car rear floor left hand side near the rear door sill plate, but it is a open car, so it could be anywhere on the front seat frame.  It is also stamped on the frame directly under the radator.

Snnumber.jpg.e739642df9d76d105a5b9a84e3c2b8c9.jpg

Most likely location, 3 tags, body number, color number, and SN

- Have problems finding photos of the engine on the net.  Only thing I found was from a car in which the engine appeared to be a mirror image!!! (No- photo was not reversed -checked that with reference to the steering box) Can anyone confirm that the engine in the attached pictures from the car I am looking at is original to a 1929 837 ?

Graham-Paige made 4 different engines in 1929, the sixes are a mirror of the eight...mostly.  This engine is mostly correct, incorrect carburetor.

Questions you should ask.

THIS IS NOT A LeBaron bodied car!!! this is a Graham-Paige body, they came both ways, huge difference in value.

98% of the parts included are incorrect for this car they are all 6 parts.

Rear bumper is correct (hard to find)

Front bumper is incorrect (and hard to find)

Wheels are correct, Hub caps are not.

Outside door handles are incorrect

Front splash pan is missing

Trunk rack is correct

The entire body is wood with tin covering (big job to replace the wood if it is bad)

Interior is incredibly complete.  Not sure on the robe rail (no cars to compare)

If you look along the cowl under the hood you will see the original maroon color should have black fenders and a tan leather interior.

Only other known Graham-Paige 7 passenger 835 car.

8357passenger.jpg.4386d8b1fa0ab502306012eb7993e7e4.jpg

• Like 3

Eystein,

Hope you were able to get the Graham, let me know if you ever want to sell it.  SN for the car is 506149 (picture of tag on car) normally these cars are registered to their engine number.

1929 Graham-Paige 837 (CCCA Full Classic) 2nd Series, 8 cylinder, 322 CID, 120 HP, 137 wheel base, SN 506001-507014 (range), Built Jan. 1929, Cost $2195-$4430

It will be a beautiful car restored.

• Like 1

On 5/23/2024 at 4:35 AM, Graham Man said:

Yes I can....

Two questions :

Two places to find the SN.  First, inside the car rear floor left hand side near the rear door sill plate, but it is a open car, so it could be anywhere on the front seat frame.  It is also stamped on the frame directly under the radator.

Snnumber.jpg.e739642df9d76d105a5b9a84e3c2b8c9.jpg

Most likely location, 3 tags, body number, color number, and SN

Graham-Paige made 4 different engines in 1929, the sixes are a mirror of the eight...mostly.  This engine is mostly correct, incorrect carburetor.

Questions you should ask.

THIS IS NOT A LeBaron bodied car!!! this is a Graham-Paige body, they came both ways, huge difference in value.

98% of the parts included are incorrect for this car they are all 6 parts.

Rear bumper is correct (hard to find)

Front bumper is incorrect (and hard to find)

Wheels are correct, Hub caps are not.

Outside door handles are incorrect

Front splash pan is missing

Trunk rack is correct

The entire body is wood with tin covering (big job to replace the wood if it is bad)

Interior is incredibly complete.  Not sure on the robe rail (no cars to compare)

If you look along the cowl under the hood you will see the original maroon color should have black fenders and a tan leather interior.

Only other known Graham-Paige 7 passenger 835 car.

8357passenger.jpg.4386d8b1fa0ab502306012eb7993e7e4.jpg

Thanks for the info, I didn't know it before.

• 4 weeks later...

The engine powering the 1928 Graham-Paige Model 835, 1929-'30 Model 835, 827 & 837 and 1930-'31 Graham Model 127 & 137 is the 322 ci straight eight manufactured by Continental Motors Corp. Model 14K.