Tall Tires And Large Displacement Brass Cars.

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, LARRYCAROL said:

Great pictures Bob, but what is that building? Looks like an old locomotive shop! 

That’s a big barn at the Gilmore Museum. Some of the buildings are just as cool as the cars. I didn’t catch the back story of this structure. 

Edited by BobinVirginia (see edit history)
  • Like 1

I did a little work on the maroon Simplex.  I pushed it around the shop for two years as it was waiting for engine castings.   It's a neat car.  6" piston bore and runs roller bearings on the front of the crank.  Can't remember if they were in the middle and rear.  They run 3 main bearings on the crankshaft.  It takes a lot of time sorting a car like this to be enjoyable to drive.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

New to this format so pardon me if I mess up.

this message is addressed to BobinVirginia and Steve Moskowitz. First, I'm afraid is bad news. And I'm hoping someone can help with this. Both Ken Eberts and his wife Liz have passed away. I haven't even been able to dates but evidently Liz passed a week before Ken. They had no children and so no one in the AFAS has been able to help. If anyone has any more information please contact me at carole.vette@att.net or 805-404-0861. My late wife and I were good friends and I am very saddened by this.

second, for BobinVirginia, the Nethercutt Olsmobile Limited is on display in the Museum building. I'm a docent there every Friday.

• Thanks 1

On 9/4/2024 at 3:49 PM, Andy Blake said:

New to this format so pardon me if I mess up.

this message is addressed to BobinVirginia and Steve Moskowitz. First, I'm afraid is bad news. And I'm hoping someone can help with this. Both Ken Eberts and his wife Liz have passed away. I haven't even been able to dates but evidently Liz passed a week before Ken. They had no children and so no one in the AFAS has been able to help. If anyone has any more information please contact me at carole.vette@att.net or 805-404-0861. My late wife and I were good friends and I am very saddened by this.

second, for BobinVirginia, the Nethercutt Olsmobile Limited is on display in the Museum building. I'm a docent there every Friday.

Sorry for my late response. I missed a notification. Sorry to hear of the Eberts passing. I’m not familiar with them. Thank you for notifying myself and @Steve Moskowitz about this. 

Also, thank you for the information on the Oldsmobile Limited. 

On 9/2/2024 at 2:13 PM, Janousek said:

I did a little work on the maroon Simplex.  I pushed it around the shop for two years as it was waiting for engine castings.   It's a neat car.  6" piston bore and runs roller bearings on the front of the crank.  Can't remember if they were in the middle and rear.  They run 3 main bearings on the crankshaft.  It takes a lot of time sorting a car like this to be enjoyable to drive.  

Thanks for commenting. It’s in a really impressive collection. I can just imagine the quirks that would need to be sorted. Hopefully, you figure them out before a failure occurs I’m sure! Learning the hard way is tough with these cars. 

4 minutes ago, Andy Blake said:

BobinVirginia. FYI, Ken Eberts painted the Hershey poster every year for the past, gosh, 30-40 years. Possibly more.

Thanks, the knowledge I have about brass cars I’ve accrued over the past year. There’s many things I’m learning about including people who’ve made an impact on the prewar car scene. 

Well, I was strictly a small car guy(1 and 2 cyl). Owned a two cyl Maxwell for 35 yrs. Had to sell it 5 yrs ago due to a bad back only to learn last sat it was in a fire and is no more. Along with a few other cars. Now into Model A's and 20's Packards. Now towing or cranking.

• Like 1