Old Tinplate Ford - Maker Unknown

Glenno64

AAC Members,  do any of the collectors on here recognize tinplate Ford, and can comment on it's make and age?  It appears to be a 1920's Ford (from the label on the radiator), not sure what model. I see no builder markings on the bottom or inside at all.  The rear axle has a gear on it, so it was likely powered at one time.  Thanks!  Glenn

IMG_8587.jpg

IMG_8588.jpg

IMG_8589.jpg

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I believe the Ford it is made by the Germany company Orobr (spelling?) for the American toy market in the 1920s. Another German company named Bing also made Model Ts for the export market as well, but the Bing toys do not have opening doors. I have bought and sold about 20 of these over the years. See below:

https://images.app.goo.gl/TBntkVeZzUruVKGw6

Edited by motoringicons (see edit history)
  • Like 3

Posted (edited)

Most toy manufacturers in Europe and the British Isles made metal toys of pressed tin or light weight sheet steel and were approximately  7 or so inches long.

The American market made mostly pressed heavy steel toys much larger - all due because of the resources of material available to manufacture steel in the USA.

The thickness of the steel used on the big American toys was very close or the same grade as what was used in automobile manufacture. By the early 1930s the American pressed steel toys were very accurate in duplicating what the real cars looked like with compound curves etc.

Some of the car manufacturers would have these toys that resembled the real cars in their showrooms to attract the children of perspective car buyers. Graham sold a toy sedan to customers for $2.00 to give to their kids. NOT Cheap in 1933 dollars.  Those were made by Corcoran Co. , they also made DeSoto and Chrysler Airflow sedans.

I have photos of all of those but do not want to detract from this post and no longer post any photos ( period or new) on here due to critics who insult efforts because of their opinions on everything.

Edited by Walt G
clarification (see edit history)
  • Like 3