Engine Swap?

I might be purchasing a 1986 Olds Cutlass Supreme with a 307 and sooner or later i will be wanting to put a 383 stroker in it and was wondering how hard it will be to drop a 350 in the 307's place and what best year and vehicle to get a 350 out of. thanks a bunch in advanced

If it came with a 307, the easiest swap will be an Olds 350 or 403. Those are a drop-in since the 350/403 are externally identical to the 307 and everything bolts right back onto the bigger Olds engines. To put the Chevy engine in it will require a 305-equipped Monte Carlo parts car to get: motor mount perches, all the accessory brackets, battery tray, engine wiring harness, radiator, fuel and emissions lines, and possibly transmission if your original 200-4R is not a universal bolt pattern unit. That or fabbing up a whole lotta stuff.

By the time you've gone thru all that, you could have built a pretty stout Olds 350 for the same money and put it in the car in a few hours.

Choose and pay.

ok the olds 350 how many performance parts are out there for it? would performance parts for a chevy 350 work? are they the same engine inside just with different outside stuff like motor mounts?

Do a search for Mondello, he's the high performance Olds guru. There is no where near the aftermarket for Olds performance parts as there is Chevy, but there's enough. Olds blocks simply put are stronger regardless of what Chevy lovers will tell you (I've messed around with both for quite awhile). Get a Jeg's catalog and you'll find a pretty decent collection of hi po parts.

Here's a good site for a formula to building up a 350 or other Olds engine:

http://www.442.com/oldsfaq/oldsfaq.htm

thanks a bunch for that site. i went and test drove the car tonight and it is in mint condition other than a bit of rust through on the rear part of the frame. the guy is asking $1500U.S. for it and do you guys think it is worth it? i really like it and plan on keeping it for a long time and if i do get it will fix the frame

Sight unseen I have no way to tell. The car is worth what you are willing to pay for it. If it's what you want and you can afford it, buy it. Offer the seller a little less, don't insult him, just tell him that's all you can afford.

One neat trick I saw once, was the buyer pulls out a cashier's check for x amount of money stating this was all he felt like he wanted to pay and was ready to do business then and there. The seller felt it was a bit too low, so the buyer whips out a couple hundred more stating "that's all I've got, you cleaned me out!" This was all done good naturedly. Both guys laughed and did the deal. I was the seller.