1935 Plymouth deluxe pj

janey

Not sure about the PJ, but new shoes are not available for the earlier PC, PD, PE & PF. A brake and friction shop, the place local garages send stuff to be rebuilt, to get them rebuilt will be your best bet for relining the shoes. There are Internet and mail order places that can do that too, but I prefer to work with people I can talk to over the counter.

The hoses and cylinder rubber parts should be still available. Most you can get from your local auto supply but the usual vintage Mopar suppliers can help if your local shops require things to be in their computer.

I don't have a '35 PJ parts book so that is a bit of a hole in my cross reference database but if the part is the same for '34 and '36 it is likely to good for '35. My cross reference data is available at https://www.ply33.com/Parts/numeric and might help you find modern numbers for your old parts.

You will not get good brake performance unless the curvature of the shoes matches the curvature of the drums. In the old days repair shops had brake shoe arcing equipment to do this. With the hazard of dust from that operation and the advent of disc brakes that day is long gone. I found I could get a pretty good job done by using a roll of sticky backed sandpaper. Stick some around the inside of a drum then rub the shoes that will be used with that drum unit there is smooth continuous contact. Important: Each shoe needs to be arced or fitted to the drum it will be used in, especially if the drums have been turned.

With new or relined shoes you will need to do a "major adjustment". The best way to do that is with some specialized tools. The original factory tools were from Miller and those seem to be very rare. AAMCO made a different tool that can still be found but the prices are now astronomical. If you are not trying to make money on shop rates (i.e. doing it yourself and time is no problem) you can get close using an iterative procedure as written up at https://www.ply33.com/Repair/brakes

edit: p.s. I found that a home made pressure bleeder makes a big difference in getting the brakes bled properly. I've done it with the two person operation but that is slower. Some people have luck with the vacuum bleeder kits but I have not had as much luck with those.

p.p.s. Getting a factory service manual will be a big help. I don't have one for '35 but they should be available. If not the 1936-42 factory service manual should be available and the cars are mechanically very similar so it should be okay to use that.

Edited by ply33 (see edit history)

You can make your own brake adjustment tool. I did. A few video on the topic can be seen. 

Search for “Mopar brake adjustment tool keith’s garage” on you tube. That’s my channel. Lots of help on there for you. 

Keith

Edited by keithb7 (see edit history)