Lubricants and Hydraulic Fluids

Guest DaveZZZ

Guest imported_DaveZZZ

Hi Folks.

I just got the manuals for my car (well, actually they sent me the 1968 manuals, and I needed the 67, which would probably be OK except that in 68 they went to the 455), and they reccomend a lithium (I think) soap grease for the windows- does anyone have a reccomended brand or type of lube from a local place (i.e., NAPA or Autozone)? Likewise, for the top mechanism they say to use a dripless oil- any suggestions?

Finally, I forget exactly what type of ATF they suggested for the hydraulics, it was Type A or some such- which is definitely before my time. Should I just go ahead and use whatever the current Dexron/Mercon is?

Thanks a lot,

Dave

I think Dextron or Dextron II would be okay for your transmission (it's for GM products) Mercron is a Ford product, I think. However, it's the only place you would use it. Brakes should be any decent DOT 3 fluid and power steering has it's own fluid (I think any commercial brand would be acceptable). For motor oil, I'd probably go with 10W40 that was pretty much the standard back in those days. The rear is probably a 90 weight, but check with a shop on that, they would know.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">they reccomend a lithium (I think) soap grease for the windows- does anyone have a reccomended brand or type of lube from a local place (i.e., NAPA or Autozone)? Likewise, for the top mechanism they say to use a dripless oil- any suggestions? </div></div>

All the lithium grease is, is white grease that is available in a spray can or in a tube at any auto parts store or even WalMart. The dripless oil is any light bodied oil like 3-in-1 or sewing machine oil.

Dexron will be fine for your automatic transmission, but I think your ? is actually about the top pump. Type A transmission fluid is not easy to find, but Dexron will work fine in your top hydraulics. Type A was an earlier designation for the fluid, used by GM and Chrysler. Ford products used Type F.

Be glad it calls for tranny fluid. Earlier years used brake fluid in the top Hydro-Lectric system, and the stuff was death on paint and trim if the cylinders leaked.