Front Trailing Arm Bushings

wufibug

There is some confusion as to what bushings this refers to.  They are NOT the lower control arm bushings.  These are for where the front trailing arm goes into the chassis.  It also appears that the bushing that fits on the arm and sits on the rear of the chassis used to be a single "insulator", #22528801.  Not clear if there ever was a rubber bushing that went on the arm after it entered the chassis.  From what I can tell the OEM bushing[s?] were replaced by the same bushings as are used on the struts, #DORMAN BB6441PR.  If the latter can be substituted for the former, which does not seem to be available anymore, what I cannot tell is which bushing goes on the trailing arm first and which is on the other side of the chassis.

1. Conflicting front lower control arm bushing part #s - Buick ...

Part image

I am not sure I follow the question? I am pretty sure the rod to the chassis from the front lower control arms is called a brake reaction rod in GM speak? Not that it matters, but I want to be sure the application is clear. As far as I know, the bushing itself was always two pieces. I have a couple of lower control arms but they are in storage with my car fifty miles away. I am guessing you are asking for the orientation of what appears to be male and female halves of the bushings?🙃

As I read my post, I did make it more confusing than necessary.  When I google either "trailing arm bushing" or "brake reaction rod bushing", the lower control arm bushings come up, among other things.  The attached picture of what I'm sure is the OEM setup seems to show a combination of the bushings in the two pictures in my original post with the heavier bushing [which is no longer available] on the control arm side of the chassis and something like a strut bushing on the other side of the chassis.  At least the picture below makes it clear that if strut bushings are the replacement for the 22528801 bushing, the thicker one goes on the control arm side of the chassis.

Brake reaction rod - Buick Reatta - Antique Automobile Club ...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Could you get yours installed? I’m trying to reinstall my control arm and can’t get the main control arm to mount. When I put the new bushings in it pushes the control arm to far back and it won’t clear the mount. Without the bushings installed it mounts fine. I’m really stuck 

Which bushings did you use for the rod to chassis mount?  Did you find the OEM one that appears to be unavailable or the strut bushings?  The only one that would "push" the lower control arm is the one that is on the rearward side.  I suspect that if you tighten the rod first it might compress the bushings and pull the bushing cap [or washer] as far up the arm as it can go all of which might be just enough to enable the lower control arm bushing to fit into the the frame mounts. I haven't mounted mine yet as I am replacing most everything.  After using Blaster for 2 days to free the outer tie rod end, I had to cut the whole thing off. Fortunately I planned on replacing the inner tie rod anyway.  This car was from Ohio but did not appear to have much rust.  Despite appearances almost every bolt has fought me, Blaster, and my breaker bar to a standstill.