Valve lash adjustment for cold engine 1931 Buick 96S

VALVE LASH ADJUSTMENT

COLD / ENGINE DISTURBED

This procedure is what I followed for my 1931 Buick 96S.  The car was not running and with the issues that were readily apparent, I was reluctant to start the engine until a compression test, basic valve adjustments, ignition system, fluids etc. had been addressed. All the manuals only gave valve adjustment procedures for a running engine at operating temperature. The following was distilled from various posts found on this site and others to adjust the valves cold to safely get it started. Thank you to. those whose work I have co-opted.

STEP 1: Rotate the engine until #1 cylinder is at TDC on the compression stroke. Ensure both valves are closed on #1 cylinder. Adjust the following valves on the indicated cylinder.

STEP 7: Rotate the engine 360 degrees to TDC, this will place #8 cylinder at TDC on the compression stroke. Ensure both valves are closed on the #8 cylinder. Adjust the following valves on the indicated cylinder.

STEP 2: #1 intake / exhaust,

STEP 8: #2 intake

STEP 3: #2 exhaust

STEP 9: #3 intake / exhaust

STEP 4: #4 intake / exhaust

STEP 10: #5 intake / exhaust

STEP 5: #6 intake / exhaust

STEP 11: #7 exhaust

STEP 6: #7 intake

STEP 12: #8 intake / exhaust

image.png.504b4394180b489b05432fcfcfd633e3.png

NOTES:

1.      Valve clearance: .008 hot / .010 cold

2.      The timing marks are located on the flywheel and can be found on the passenger side and viewed through a view port under a round cover that can be rotated out of the way to view the marks. I found it helpful to wire brush the area with the markings and used Testor’s white model paint to highlight the marks. My flywheel was marked at 10 degrees before TDC and at TDC. The reference mark was located on the bellhousing to the right side of the view port.

3.      Firing order is 1-6-2-5-8-3-7-4. My 1931 Buick 90 Series distributor rotates in a counterclockwise direction.

4.      Rotate the engine 360 degrees to TDC compression stroke for # 1 cylinder and make sure the distributor rotor is pointed at the #1 position of the distributor cap.

Edited by 31Buick96S
added content (see edit history)
  • Like 3