1966 Buick Riviera Chassis Weight? GVWR?

KishanP

I have had this 66 Buick Riviera just sitting around for 3 years and recently got the idea to convert it to electric and make it my daily use car. I want to convert it to electric because I am a young electrical engineer so I have plenty foundational and real life knowledge in electronics, but don't have any experience rebuilding engines or working on cars in general. (I do plan on keeping everything and possibly rebuilding the engine, carb, etc later) The main problem I am initially running into is not being able to find any weight statistics besides curb weight. I really need the chassis weight, GVWR, and any other part weights if available. I know this is very unlikely since its such an old car and I will most likely just have to end up removing everything and weighing it myself, but if you all know any info let me know! I have included some pictures of when I found it and its current state. Thank You!

A06F5202-48CA-4CF3-9AF8-E1975E982322.JPG

IMG_3150.jpg

Curb weight is about 4200 lbs.

As for electrification, here's a kit that GM currently sells. The battery pack took up the entire bed in the El Camino they used as a demonstrator. Total cost is well into five figures.

PXL_20230612_155841548.jpg.2374c2072c580f2fbd247eb9d439e8dd.jpgPXL_20230612_155646895.jpg.ab3411c3f749d6bb01d5a1c765cf3d62.jpgPXL_20230612_155847870.jpg.5383ee40fc183e8b3aec1cc0d3ac0490.jpg

Edited by joe_padavano (see edit history)

Interesting kit .......I think in the near future there will be a lot of these kits to allow vintage cars to continue to be able to stay on the road well into the future.....I cannot even imagine where it will all go ?

4 minutes ago, arcticbuicks said:

Interesting kit .......I think in the near future there will be a lot of these kits to allow vintage cars to continue to be able to stay on the road well into the future.....I cannot even imagine where it will all go ?

There are more than a few on the market already.