Pretty good garage

I saw one case about 35 years ago where a piece of R&D lab machinery was over specified. Thery tried to make it so feature rich it never worked. It would be possible to specify so much of your personal restoration facility that it never gets built.

Code Guidelines for Garages - Fine Homebuilding

• 2 months later...
On 2/12/2024 at 3:04 PM, James Peck said:

It would be possible to specify so much of your personal restoration facility that it never gets built

Agreed. I suppose that is why some manufacturers have separate building for separate functions. Truthfully,I have 880 sq feet under A German hip roof with engineered trusses. My 90 year father in law a long time retired Supervising Engineer for Chicago Bridge and Iron builds lean. He maintains anyone can overbuild.  My garage was certainly built lean. No support posts are in the floor. The roof has a low pitch with engineered trusses in 2 foot centers. The roof sheathing is quite thin but holds up with no leaks. We used R12 in the walls and blown in cheap insulation in the roof. I heat with two electric heat fans. I cool with two window shaker AC’s. Not sophisticated but I stay warm an cool when I need to be. The concrete floor is 5-6” thick 4500 lb concrete with Rebar reinforced. Three car bay doors and one man door. I wanted 3 foot overhang. I use a rain barrel for water.

County Code made me build the garage 200 feet from my house. A couple of neighbors complained, but I was 100% in code with a building that matched my home in style and material.

The treasure I collect is well hidden from neighbors site with piles of natural debris from the woods I live in. I told them the woods come with fallen trees and brush. The woods was there before we came to build.

• Like 1