1927 Buick 27-27 TO bearing lever bushing

Slawnski

Disassembling my transmission I felt a fair amount of slop in the throw out bearing lever assembly. Taking a closer look tonight it seems that maybe this play was intentional. The ends of the pivot shaft feel good in the lever arm- I noticed the center section of the shaft is not cylindrical- see photo for an exaggerated sketch of the shape.
IMG_1049.jpeg.0fb8fee2feab820d8c5a933d1cd63d9c.jpeg

Can anybody say for sure if this was designed this way- for some “float” in the lever as its interacts with the throw out bearing? 

That wear pattern is disturbing. It looks as though the angle of the teeth did not match.

Speedometer pinions in those days were usually matched sets of worm and pinion, in other words you did not just stuff a pinion in with a different number of teeth for a different gear ratio like you do today. When changes like that were made, it was generally both gears. If I remember correctly Buick got interchangeable speedometer pinions starting around 1941.

You probably(?) need both gears. Be sure to verify that they mesh properly somehow while the transmission is still out and apart.

The speedometer was disconnected on this vehicle when I bought it. I was thinking this smaller gear was meant to be the one that gets shredded / damaged before the transmission drive gear - because this assembly is pretty readily removed from the transmission case. I’ll have a look tonight when I put the transmission back together. 

• Like 1