65 dash pad with autronic eye

moran75

Hi all

Quick question….im removing my dash pad - will it come off with eye attached ( then disconnect wire from underneath like the speaker  ) or somehow remove eye first ?

I think remove pad with it still on - but best to check 😀

thanks in advance

kev 

6 minutes ago, 1965rivgs said:

If you leave the eye installed and attempt to pull the dash rearward it is likely the fasteners/wiring associated with the eye will interfere with the upper metal crossbar of the dash framework

Tom Mooney

Thanks Tom …So I somehow remove eye first ?….

1 hour ago, moran75 said:

Thanks Tom …So I somehow remove eye first ?….

Yes, you should be able to get at the fasteners by removing the radio.

Be forewarned, the wiring is permanently attached to the eye and if complete removal is necessary will need to be unplugged at the amplifier.

Tom

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

….as an update to anyone searching out there and stumbling on this thread….

yep, as per Tom the guide-Matic had to come off. It was clearly catching somewhere …

in my case , I had removed the plate above the radio so as to give me more purchase on pulling pad out towards back of the car….i couldn’t see what was going on with guidematic phototube because of dash padding and I decided removing radio wouldn’t gtee a better view….

So in my case, right below the phototube was my switch for cruise control …removing that I could see up underneath dash and could see the two retaining hex bolts for guide-matic were indeed catching on dash frame…

so out came glove box lining to locate guidematic amplifier - easily pulled out wire 

now, even with wheel tilted full down it seemed to me that magnet of speaker was a bit of a hindrance in removing dash pad

didnt want to jiggle pad around and risk damage , and as one of reasons for all this was to fit new speaker, and because I had already removed that plate above radio, I could easily unscrew speaker in situ.

with that released, the dash pad came out of car real easy even with me on my own and no spare set of hands 😀

one last thing - even with dash out , easiest way to get to lower bulbs on instrument panel was through access panels below steering wheel - so if that’s all you need to do, don’t remove the dash pad 😀

anyway, LEDs now in (superbrightleds.com - use their car search option) as are  fab new ‘like for like’ speakers from 

smelectrotech.com. Wanted to keep everything stock as per radio - original speakers were pretty good but these new ones are straight swaps and maximise capabilities or original radio without needing to cut / re-wire/ worry about ohm ratings etc etc . Even with original speakers I was surprised how good the sound was, even after all these years . Loud with great base and treble control , and mixing between the two speakers. So with the replacement speakers even better. 

can also transmit audio from my phone using one of them ‘dongles’  plugged into cigarette lighter - the things that convert blue tooth to FM signal , which you just tune into with radio.

anyway , over and out !

Kev