Correct tach location in a '63 Electra?

Pat Baysinger

I have '63 Buick accessories guide that pictures a tach. Under the photo is:

Engineered for the sports car minded Buick owner. Available for all Models.

Sugessted List Price:

Special Series...........$49.90

Upper Series.............$55.00

(Plus Installation)

My Electra has bucket seats and a console, but it's a compartment console only with the gear lever on the column. Where would the tach be mounted in an Electra? On the floor, even if it's not a full length console as in the Wildcat's and Riviera's? The photo shows a tach mounted on the far left top of dash, near the windshield frame. That seems like an odd place to me. I doubt that many tachs were put in Electra's, so I know it's unlikely anyone has seen a factory installed tach, but, there's always a chance so I thought I'd throw this out for comments. Thanks

Pat

Typically, most aftermarket tachs (back then) were mounted on top of the instrument panel so they would be in the driver's direct line of sight. One of the best examples of that would be the '63 or so Falcon Sprint V-8 whose factory tach mounted in the middle of the instrument panel, on top. That might explain the illustration that was near the left windshield pillar on the Buick. Some of the earlier '60s Chevys and such had a steering column bracket mount (similar to aftermarket mounts too) to put the tach on the steering column, but between the shift bowl and the instrument panel. Back then, if you bought an aftermarket tach (Sun, for example), you then bought the appropriate mounting kit to either put it on top of the instrument panel (or other flat surface) or a clamp kit to put it on the steering column. Most were for manual transmissions applications as, other than Chrysler products back then, most of the "performance" vehicles from GM and Ford were manual transmission cars.

The other option was to put it in the floor console, even if it was not a full length "working" console, but more sporty and ornamental with bucket seats. Typically, the console mount would be a fitted "recess" mount in an appropriate casting in the console itself. In some cases, manual trans cars got a tach and the automatics got vacuum gauges (sometimes labeled "Performance" and "Ecomony" on the gauge faceplate) down there.

Many times, the accessory items had a little leeway as to where they were mounted and how. Using the windshield pillar mount would be less invasive of the instrument panel and also easier to install by a dealership tech or mechanically proficient owner. If they misdrilled something, the A-pillar molding would be easier to replace than a larger instrument panel stamping (and less expensive too).

If the tach was also a factory option on that car, the installation specifics and such would probably be in the Buick Service Manual for that year and model of car. Many Buick Factory Approved Accesssory items were actually production items also.

Also, the factory option Sun Tachs on the Chevys (and others) had to have a "box" under the hood to run them. Not the same as the later '60s tachs that were self-contained units, so that's another factor to consider. I suspect the difference in the model series would relate to possible mounting hardware and different wiring harness lengths between the various components of the system.

Just some thoughts . . .

NTX5467

I know the picture you are talking about. The best way to determine if this is possible is to remove the dash pad and check the pictured area for a punch out.

In the metal backing of the pad. You may also find a punch out for a electronic eye somewhere in front of steering wheel area.

May look funny but if questioned about location just show location in the accessories folder.

Jim Schilf / palbuick@aol.com

Having a car just like yours, I see no reason that you would ever mount the tach in the console. The correct location is on top of the dash. The question is, where? FWIW, I believe that the tach in the Riviera was mounted smack in the middle of the dash (right over the radio). However, bear in mind that the cruise switch on the Riv as mounted to the right of the gauges; in the full-size cars it's to the left, so there's no assurance the tach locations are same. Wasn't the Guidematic sensor mounted a little left of center?

Why do you need a tach, anyway? What kind of race boat are you building?:D

I can only comment on the Riv. but the info might work on your car as well. In the back of the 64 Manual there is a line drawing of a Tach sitting on top of the dash under the rear view mirror and to the left side of the speaker edge between the speaker and the rear edge of the dash. I have mounted them there. I have also utilized the pre existing holes (in the metal framework under the dash pad) for the Guidematic - that works very well also. If the dash pad is original and brittle you run a big risk of splits when you cut the holes for the tach. Why have a Tach. - because they look COOL!

Pat,

I hope you didn't start drilling yet, because it turns out I <span style="font-weight: bold">may</span> have been wrong. The '64 shop manual has an installation diagram (Figure 11-184) for fullsize cars. The trouble is, there are two possible locations (to the left of the speedometer and to the right of the idiot lights). It also hangs down from the dash. The location may depend on other factors. As noted earlier, the cruise switch is installed above the light switch. If you have cruise on your car, the tach might have to go right of the light cluster.

I don't know if this is applicable to the '63 or not. I can fax you this diagram if you want.

Guest rlbleeker

It's not the same car, but my '62 Skylark has a factory tach. It's on the dash just to the left of the speaker grill. Very cool.

Lot's of good replies to my question. My Electra does have the guidematic mounted on the dash just left of center and pretty much in line with the right side of the steering wheel, so that leaves at least one other punch out to use. Regardless if I mount the tack near center, or to the left of the steering wheel, I think it'll look great. Right now, I'm leaning toward the left side mostly because the guidematic is...where it is. I wasn't sure how a tach would even look in an Electra, but since it is a convertible with bucket seats, I think it will look very cool. If anyone has '62 to '64 Buicks with dash mounted tachs, maybe you could email some digital photo's to me. pat6801@yahoo.com Maybe I'll see some of these first hand at Flint too. Thanks

Pat