1970 Cutlass stalls

I have a 70 cutlass with a 350 2bl I replaced the carb with a rebuild for AutoZone

Also replaced the fuel pump. Timing is set at 10 btdc I check vacuum looks ok .

Car starts fine and idles good but when going up hill or when you step on the gas hard it sputters and will stall have not replaced the points or cap + rotor yet.

Any help would be great

Guest imported_SKYSTHELIMIT

Take the cap and rotor off take a look at the points if they show any at all signs of wear then they should be replaced and also of course while you have them off inspect the cap and rotor also and replace if needed and last check the dwell make sure thats correct. My Buick was doing the same thing and I replaced the points, rotor, cap and adjusted the dwell and now she runs like a dream again. You wouldn't be wasting any money if there worn and you replace them and that didn't fix the problem. Alot of guys don't realize just how important the points and dwell are for these older cars. You can even see a huge differance in preformance and MPG.

Thanks for the input it happens hot or cold and the car will stall if I stay on it I will change the points, cap, and rotor this weekend. Thanks again.

Guest imported_SKYSTHELIMIT

I should have also mentioned in my previous post that to be able to set the dwell correctly the engine idle rpm should be where it's suspose to be and to complete the tune check and adjust if needed the timing and when its all said and done double check the idle rpms, dwell then timing in that order because adjusting any one of those could throw the others slightly of spec.

The obvious question here is, was the car doing this before the reman carb was installed? If it wasn't, then odds are the carb is at fault. Just because it was rebuilt doesn't mean it's any good. Seen it many times.

Also check the fuel filter. If it's installed backwards you'll get this problem.

Here's a long shot, but the vacuum advance could be bad, or the centrifugal advance weights in the distributor could be sticking or a spring broken.

Thanks for all the input I returned the carb and they gave me another one the car runs good again. Looks like it was the choke

Thanks again